1. ITV Report

A winning Saturday for all our football teams


Simon Ferry gave Swindon Town a first minute lead at Walsall. Credit: Neal Simpson/EMPICS Sport

Swindon Town move into the League One play-off places after a 2-0 win at Walsall.

Simon Ferry gave Swindon the lead in the very first minute. Gary Roberts' cross fell to Town's captain on the edge of the area, and he blasted the ball into the roof of the net.

The visitors had to wait until just after the hour-mark for their second goal. Capital One Cup hero Miles Storey, who was meeting up with the England Under 19s squad after the game, saw his shot blocked. The ball fell to Matt Ritchie, and his left-footed effort beat David Grof in the Saddlers' goal.

Andy Williams and Storey had chances to increase the lead, while the home side's best chances fell to Adam Chambers and Jamie Paterson.

Joe Edwards scored the only goal of the game as Yeovil beat Hartlepool 1-0 at Huish Park. Credit: John Walton/EMPICS Sport

Yeovil Town ended a run of three straight defeats after beating bottom-of-the-table Hartlepool.

On-loan Bristol City youngster Joe Edwards scored the only goal of the game when he converted Sam Foley's cross in the 7th minute.

Hartlepool, whose last away win was at Huish Park eight months ago, had the better of the second half, and missed several good opportunities to equalise.

The Glovers were fortunate to come away with all three points, but substitutes Keanu Marsh-Brown and Reuben Reid also wasted chances to double Yeovil's lead.


Chris Zebroski (left) scored Cheltenham's winner four minutes from time. Credit: PA Wire

Chris Zebroski scored four minutes from time to give Cheltenham Town a 1-0 win over Burton.

Cheltenham dominated the first half and were unlucky not to take the lead. Alan Bennett's header hit the bar and goal-line clearances denied both Zebroski and Sido Jombati.

The visitors almost scored against the run of play when Jack Dyer's thunderous drive was inches over the bar.

Both sides had their chances in the second half, but it was the home side who finally broke the deadlock four minutes from time. Billy Jones' corner fell to Alan Bennett six yards out, and his shot was blocked on the line. Burton goalkeeper Mark Oxley dropped the ball right in front of Zebroski - who made no mistake.

Albion almost snatched a point twice in the closing moments, but Billy Kee headed over and Scott Brown saved well from Calvin Zola.

Cheltenham Town's Kaid Mohamed gets past Burton Albion's Antony O'Connor. Credit: PA Wire
Joe Anyinsah scored his first goal of the season as Rovers beat Chesterfield 3-2. Credit: John Walton/EMPICS Sport

Bristol Rovers ended a run of four straight defeats after beating Chesterfield at the Memorial Stadium.

The Pirates were pegged back twice after taking the lead, but Tom Eaves struck the winning goal ten minutes from time.

Chesterfield's Sam Togwell put Mark McGhee's men on their way to victory when he directed Eaves' cross into his own net after just 5 minutes.

The visitors were level 15 minutes later when a rare mistake from home goalkeeper Neil Etheridge gifted them the lead. But he made amends with several good saves to keep Rovers in the game.

The home side were back in front in the 59th minute. Eaves again provided the cross into the box, and Joe Anyinsah was on hand to slide in for his first goal of the season.

Substitute Brennan Dickenson put the Spireites back on level terms six minutes later, but man-of-the-match Eaves got the winning goal he deserved when his shot through a crowded penalty area deflected into the back of the net.

More on this story