1. ITV Report

Disastrous day for our football teams


Manchester United loanee Sam Johnstone conceded two goals on his Yeovil Town debut. Credit: Joe Giddens/EMPICS Sport

Yeovil Town suffered their second straight defeat in the Championship as Burnley's unbeaten start continued.

The Clarets finally broke the deadlock through Keith Treacy's 74th minute cross-cum-shot from the left-wing which Yeovil's debutant goalkeeper Sam Johnstone misjudged and the ball crept in at his near post.

Burnley doubled their lead through Sam Vokes on 79 minutes when he turned in Scott Arfield's shot after Danny Ings' header had hit the post.

The home side had the bulk of possession in the opening five minutes, but were unable to break down a resilient and organised Yeovil outfit.

Ross Wallace unleashed a seventh-minute effort from 35 yards that Johnstone did well to parry behind.

Two minutes later, Vokes attempted an ambitious volley from the edge of the box after shaking off Byron Webster, but his looping effort went high and wide.

But Clarets winger Junior Stanislas breathed a sigh of relief when his 16th minute attempted clearance fell straight to James Hayter, who failed to capitalise.

Vokes should have given Burnley a 19th-minute lead after latching onto Dean Marney's through-ball but his chip over Johnstone was off-target.

Moments later, Clarets right-back Kieran Trippier delivered a curling cross for Stanislas, whose header went safely behind as the home side turned the screw.

Following a frantic opening 25 minutes, the Somerset side gradually began to work their way into the final third, but with little end product.

That was until Liam Davis missed from six yards on 36 minutes after former Bristol City goalkeeper Tom Heaton parried Kevin Dawson's cross into his path, but the midfielder put his shot over.

In first-half stoppage time, Trippier's right-wing cross found an unmarked Vokes, but the Welsh international's header went way over Johnstone's bar.

Shortly after the break, Burnley midfielders Marney and Wallace both went into referee Scott Duncan's book moments apart.

Ed Upson tried his luck from distance on 51 minutes but his effort through a crowd of bodies went wide of Heaton's goal.

Ex-West Ham man Stanislas found himself on the edge of the box in a Burnley counter-attack but his 56th-minute curling effort went just wide.

And it was Stanislas again who fired in another effort for Sean Dyche's men, but his tame shot on the hour trickled off-target.

Treacy broke the deadlock with a fortunate effort with 16 minutes to go and Burnley could have doubled their lead a minute later when Arfield went through on goal but placed his shot wide across the face of goal.

Vokes made the points safe and then a succession of saves from Johnstone late-on kept Burnley at bay, tipping David Jones' free-kick over and then parrying Vokes' later header to safety.

We feel as though we let that one slip out of our hands. We had a good hour and we looked Championship for the first 45 minutes.

At this level, you have to take your chances - if you don't, all opposition teams will have some part of the play and when Burnley did, we suddenly capitulated.

Our subs were not as effective as theirs on the day late on and we got gradually less effective, especially when they got their first goal.

I was disappointed we didn't give it a right go to get back into the game. We've got some people who have not hit Championship form.

We haven't come in this league to be the whipping boys, so we're actually a bit disappointed by the start. We've got to be careful of a pattern where we become shrinking violets in the last 25 minutes.

– Gary Johnson, Yeovil Town manager


Jay Emmanuel-Thomas was on-target again for Bristol City. Credit: Stephen Pond/EMPICS Sport

Bristol City are still looking for their first three points of the season after losing 2-1 at home to Wolves.

Bakary Sako gave the visitors the lead midway through the first half with a 25-yard free-kick, which gave Frank Fielding no chance.

Jay Emmanuel-Thomas equalised in an improved second half for the home side, but Matt Doherty hit the winner for Kenny Jackett's men five minutes from time.

Miles Storey came close to a goal, but Swindon were beaten 2-0 at Shrewsbury. Credit: Nigel French/EMPICS Sport

Goals either side of half-time condemned Swindon to their second away defeat of the season.

A mistake at the back gifted Shrewsbury the lead. Adam Reach pounced on a loose pass and found himself through on goal. He had time to pick his spot, before slotting past Wes Foderingham and into the corner of the net.

Town began the second half brightly. Miles Storey, Ryan Harley and Nathan Byrne all had efforts on goal. But another mistake at the back allowed substitute Tom Bradshaw to win the ball and fire past Foderingham.


Matt Richards pulled a goal back for Cheltenham. Credit: Joe Giddens/EMPICS Sport

Cheltenham Town are still without a league win, as Plymouth Argyle picked up their first points of the season at Whaddon Road.

The visitors stunned the home side with three first half goals, before Matt Richards pulled a goal back after the break.

The Robins had the first real chance of the game when Byron Harrison's header was cleared off the line, but it was Argyle who soon broke the deadlock in the 17th minute.

Romuald Boco's cross found Reuben Reid, and his header slammed against the crossbar before Marvin Morgan knocked in the rebound.

Plymouth doubled their lead on 27 minutes through Conor Hourihane's 22 yard drive into the bottom corner of Scott Brown's goal.

And ten minutes later it was 3-0 as Reid's sublime through ball found Boco who made no mistake in slamming the ball past Brown.

Cheltenham reduced the deficit in the 72nd minute. A freekick given away by Morgan was driven in low by Richards, which crept in at the far post.

But the home side never looked like adding to their goals tally, and Argyle held on for their first win of the campaign.

Former Rovers winger Andy Sandell scored the winner for Newport. Credit: John Walton/PA Archive

Injury-hit Bristol Rovers are still searching for their first win of the season. They were beaten at league new-boys Newport County.

The first Severnside derby between the two sides in 27 years was settled from the penalty spot.

Christian Jolley was fouled by Tom Parkes, and former Rovers player Andy Sandell sent Steve Mildenhall the wrong way.

Eliot Richards headed over early in the second half, but Rovers struggled to create many chances.

More on this story