Advertisement

  1. ITV Report

Warning after nine cats poisoned in two weeks

Pet owners are being warned to remain vigilant after nine cats have been killed in just two weeks.

The animals were each poisoned by antifreeze and owners in Linden are being asked to keep watch for signs of the chemical, which cats lap up because of its sweet taste.

The liquid causes kidney failure however, which is ultimately fatal.

Pet owners are being warned to be on their guard for antifreeze Credit: ITV News

69-year-old Jenny Lane had to put her much-loved five-year-old cat, Minnie, down after she was found seriously ill.

It was so upsetting. If you saw the way she was, it was terrible.

She was sick all over the floor and couldn't walk properly. We took her to the vets but there was nothing that could be done.

– Jenny Lane

It is not yet known if the deaths are intentional or whether the toxic liquid was spilled.

Vet Cliff Alderman, from SPA Vets in Gloucester, said he was stunned by the number of cat deaths.

You do not see a lot of it because most people are aware.

Within the first 24 hours we can usually do something but if it enters the liver then there's little we can do at that point.

I would advise anybody who suspects that their pet has been poisoned in some way to get them to a vets straight away

– Cliff Alderman, vet

The RSCPA are echoing the advice to drivers to ensure the chemicals are stored away from pets and to check their vehicles aren't leaking the fluid onto roads and driveways.

We would encourage people in the area to check where they keep their antifreeze and make sure it is secure and out of the way of cats and other animals.

People should check their cars for any leaks too.

Often people are simply unaware of the potential hazards when they dispose of antifreeze and this can have a life threatening impact on animals.

– Laura Quinn, RSPCA

She also urged people to avoid using the liquid in the garden.

We also would encourage people not to use antifreeze in things such as water features and garden ornaments as the impact can be deadly for animals who end up drinking the water.

If you suspect that your cat has been poisoned you must take it to a vet immediately and, if possible, you should take a sample of what the cat has eaten or drunk, or the container.

– Laura Quinn, RSPCA