1. ITV Report

Life sentences for Rico's killers

21 year old Rico Gordon was an innocent victim Photo: Avon & Somerset Police

Two gunmen have been jailed for life for the murder of a man who was caught in the crossfire of a shoot-out between two groups in Bristol. Rico Gordon was shot in the head during the shoot-out

Rickel Adams, 27, will spend at least 35 years in prison. Shakah Anderson, 31, will serve a minimum of 32 years Credit: Avon & Somerset Police

Three other people suffered bullet wounds when violence spilled on to the streets of Bristol after the St Paul's Carnival last year. The exchange of bullets between two rival groups from north west London was described as like something out of the wild west. CCTV footage from Stapleton Road in Easton from the fateful night of July 3rd 2011 gives some idea of the gun battle.

Adams, of Janson Close, north west London, and Anderson, of no fixed address, were convicted by a jury at Bristol Crown Court of the murder of the 21-year-old following a five-week trial. They were also convicted of possession of a firearm with intent to endanger life.

In addition, Adams was found guilty of two charges of causing grievous bodily harm with intent to passers-by Isabell Brant and Hezekiah Davies - who were shot after being caught up in the gunfight.

Prosecutors alleged that Adams, Anderson and a third gunman - a close associate of Anderson who has never been identified - were responsible for the shootings that left Rico Gordon, from Notting Hill, London, dead. He was hit by a ricochet bullet.

Detective Superintendent Sue Scott, the Senior Investigating Officer from Avon and Somerset Police has praised the bravery of Rico's family in helping the investigation. She also appeals for more people to come forward and calls for more effort to combat gun crime.

Tragic incidents don't happen unless there are guns out there on our streets and people with a criminal or violent intent having access to them. If we can get the guns off our streets we can actually stop these people dying.

– Detective Superintendent Sue Scott, Avon & Somerset Police

Our Bristol reporter Richard Payne has been following the case. You can see his full report here: