1. ITV Report

Hat-trick of defeats for Devon's football teams

All three of Devon's Football League teams suffered defeats, but Yeovil's Championship survival battle received a boost at Blackpool.


Blackpool's Andy Keogh and Yeovil Town's Joe Ralls battle for the ball in the air. Credit: Barrington Coombs/EMPICS Sport

Yeovil manager Gary Johnson insists he is ready to fight relegation without top-scorer Ishmael Miller after his strike duo on Saturday bagged a goal apiece in a 2-1 victory at Blackpool.

Bottom club Yeovil travelled to Bloomfield Road without Miller with the on-loan Nottingham Forest striker understood to have breached club discipline.

But it mattered little as James Hayter scored a first-half penalty and Tom Lawrence, on loan from Manchester United, grabbed his first Yeovil goal to ensure Elliot Grandin's superb 78th-minute strike was nothing but a consolation for Blackpool.

The home side fashioned the first chance of the game after four minutes as Gary MacKenzie flicked a header on to David Goodwillie who could not quite lift the ball over Yeovil keeper Chris Dunn.

Yeovil came close after five minutes as a long free-kick forward by Jamie McAllister fell to Liam Davis who hit a powerful left foot shot just over the bar.

Yeovil took the lead through Hayter from the penalty spot in the 16th minute after Blackpool defender Tony McMahon was adjudged to have handled in the area from a corner.

Barry Ferguson's side had a golden opportunity to equalise after 24 minutes as MacKenzie met a McMahon free-kick from the right but headed over unmarked from six yards.

Yeovil had the chance to double their advantage after 34 minutes as their continued pressure led to Grant nodding on to Hayter who could not poke past Gilks from 12 yards.

Goodwillie tried to turn momentum Blackpool's way with a strong right-footed strike from 35 yards, which whistled just over the bar.

Just before half-time, the frustration grew among the Bloomfield Road crowd who booed Jack Robinson for another backwards pass and Robinson responded by shouting back at the supporters.

Yeovil Town's keeper Marek Stetch makes a flying save during the game against Blackpool. Credit: Barrington Coombs/EMPICS Sport

Blackpool, who were booed off at half-time, came close to conceding again after 48 minutes. The ball broke to Grant from a free-kick, who forced Gilks to save his right-foot smash from eight yards.

Goodwillie squandered a fantastic opportunity to equalise after 53 minutes, dribbling through the Yeovil defence before inexplicably firing over when one-on-one with the keeper from 12 yards.

Blackpool pushed forward once more and Neal Bishop should have scored from a right-wing Goodwillie cross but headed wide from six yards.

Yeovil doubled their lead after 74 minutes as Lawrence was slipped in down the middle and struck the ball low left-footed between the legs of Gilks.

Blackpool struck back almost immediately as substitute Grandin's dipping shot from 25 yards crept just under Dunn's bar after 78 minutes.

The hosts laid siege to the Yeovil goal in injury time in search of an equaliser but Andy Keogh's shot from 20 yards whistled over and the Glovers clung on for the win.

After the game, Glovers boss Johnson was full of praise for his attacking duo in Miller's absence:

I'm not sure he [Miller] has returned to Nottingham Forest yet but he's left our club.

Obviously we thank him for his goals but we've agreed that we would part company and go into these next few games with people that I think are going to score goals and work very hard and put in an aggressive work rate.

The top lads scored a goal each and they did just that so you don't want to get into too many details and that's how it is. We just felt that sometimes players are not conducive to your environment and that was the case.

It was a meeting we had and he [Miller] said that he wouldn't play but that sort of coincided with what we were thinking.

But now we move on. I'm really pleased with the two strikers. We do thank him for his goals and we do wish him well for the future.

There's 18 points to play for so we need to pick up as many points as we can.

– Gary Johnson, Yeovil Town manager

They were the better team on the day, which is disappointing for me because the way I want to play is not the way that I know the boys in that dressing room played and that's what disappoints me.

I'll put it down to a bad day at the office. But it's hurting because I know those boys inside out and that's not the way they want to play.

– Barry Ferguson, Blackpool caretaker manager
Blackpool's David Goodwillie and Yeovil Town's Jamie McAllister battle for the ball. Credit: Barrington Coombs/EMPICS Sport


Callum McFadzean, on loan from Sheffield United, scored Burton's winner against Argyle. Credit: Nigel French/EMPICS Sport

Plymouth Argyle's play-off hopes have been dented after a 1-0 defeat at Burton Albion.

Callum McFadzean scored the only goal of the game in the 27th minute.

Reuben Reid and Conor Hourihane went close for Argyle in the second half, but defeat leaves them in ninth place, five points off a play-off spot.

Danny Coles was sent off in the 70th minute for receiving two bookings. Credit: PA

Danny Coles was sent off as Exeter City lost at Bury.

Coles received two yellow cards in the second half, leaving the Grecians to play the last 20 minutes of the match with ten men. But Exeter were already a goal down at this point after Chris Hussey's 65th minute free-kick broke the deadlock.

Tom Soares doubled the advantage from close range in stoppage time.

Paul Tisdale's men are 4 points ahead of the drop zone in 20th place.

Torquay United's Anthony O'Connor and Scunthorpe United's Sam Winnall in action. Credit: Simon Galloway/EMPICS Sport

Bottom-of-the-table Torquay United have edged closer to relegation. The Gulls lost 1-0 at home to promotion chasing Scunthorpe United.

Sam Winnall scored the only goal of the game from the penalty spot in the 31st minute, after a foul by Krystian Pearce.

The Gulls had the chance to level with their own spot-kick after Winnall fouled Pearce, but Dale Tonge saw his effort saved.

Torquay also had Jayden Stockley sent off in stoppage time for an elbow on David Mirfin.

Chris Hargreaves' men are now ten points from safety.

Scunthorpe United's Sam Slocombe saves Dale Tonge's penalty. Credit: Simon Galloway/EMPICS Sport

More on this story