1. ITV Report

Yeovil's survival battle receives a boost at Blackpool

Blackpool's Andy Keogh and Yeovil Town's Joe Ralls battle for the ball in the air. Photo: Barrington Coombs/EMPICS Sport



Yeovil manager Gary Johnson insists he is ready to fight relegation without top-scorer Ishmael Miller after his strike duo on Saturday bagged a goal apiece in a 2-1 victory at Blackpool.

Bottom club Yeovil travelled to Bloomfield Road without Miller with the on-loan Nottingham Forest striker understood to have breached club discipline.

But it mattered little as James Hayter scored a first-half penalty and Tom Lawrence, on loan from Manchester United, grabbed his first Yeovil goal to ensure Elliot Grandin's superb 78th-minute strike was nothing but a consolation for Blackpool.

The home side fashioned the first chance of the game after four minutes as Gary MacKenzie flicked a header on to David Goodwillie who could not quite lift the ball over Yeovil keeper Chris Dunn.

Yeovil came close after five minutes as a long free-kick forward by Jamie McAllister fell to Liam Davis who hit a powerful left foot shot just over the bar.

Yeovil took the lead through Hayter from the penalty spot in the 16th minute after Blackpool defender Tony McMahon was adjudged to have handled in the area from a corner.

Barry Ferguson's side had a golden opportunity to equalise after 24 minutes as MacKenzie met a McMahon free-kick from the right but headed over unmarked from six yards.

Yeovil had the chance to double their advantage after 34 minutes as their continued pressure led to Grant nodding on to Hayter who could not poke past Gilks from 12 yards.

Goodwillie tried to turn momentum Blackpool's way with a strong right-footed strike from 35 yards, which whistled just over the bar.

Just before half-time, the frustration grew among the Bloomfield Road crowd who booed Jack Robinson for another backwards pass and Robinson responded by shouting back at the supporters.

Yeovil Town's keeper Marek Stetch makes a flying save during the game against Blackpool. Credit: Barrington Coombs/EMPICS Sport

Blackpool, who were booed off at half-time, came close to conceding again after 48 minutes. The ball broke to Grant from a free-kick, who forced Gilks to save his right-foot smash from eight yards.

Goodwillie squandered a fantastic opportunity to equalise after 53 minutes, dribbling through the Yeovil defence before inexplicably firing over when one-on-one with the keeper from 12 yards.

Blackpool pushed forward once more and Neal Bishop should have scored from a right-wing Goodwillie cross but headed wide from six yards.

Yeovil doubled their lead after 74 minutes as Lawrence was slipped in down the middle and struck the ball low left-footed between the legs of Gilks.

Blackpool struck back almost immediately as substitute Grandin's dipping shot from 25 yards crept just under Dunn's bar after 78 minutes.

The hosts laid siege to the Yeovil goal in injury time in search of an equaliser but Andy Keogh's shot from 20 yards whistled over and the Glovers clung on for the win.

After the game, Glovers boss Johnson was full of praise for his attacking duo in Miller's absence:

I'm not sure he [Miller] has returned to Nottingham Forest yet but he's left our club.

Obviously we thank him for his goals but we've agreed that we would part company and go into these next few games with people that I think are going to score goals and work very hard and put in an aggressive work rate.

The top lads scored a goal each and they did just that so you don't want to get into too many details and that's how it is. We just felt that sometimes players are not conducive to your environment and that was the case.

It was a meeting we had and he [Miller] said that he wouldn't play but that sort of coincided with what we were thinking.

But now we move on. I'm really pleased with the two strikers. We do thank him for his goals and we do wish him well for the future.

There's 18 points to play for so we need to pick up as many points as we can.

– Gary Johnson, Yeovil Town manager

They were the better team on the day, which is disappointing for me because the way I want to play is not the way that I know the boys in that dressing room played and that's what disappoints me.

I'll put it down to a bad day at the office. But it's hurting because I know those boys inside out and that's not the way they want to play.

– Barry Ferguson, Blackpool caretaker manager
Blackpool's David Goodwillie and Yeovil Town's Jamie McAllister battle for the ball. Credit: Barrington Coombs/EMPICS Sport


On-loan Birmingham midfielder Wade Elliott hit Bristol City's equaliser against Preston. Credit: Clive Gee/EMPICS Sport

Bristol City's relegation fears continue to ease after drawing with promotion-chasing Preston at Ashton Gate.

Jack King gave the visitors a 69th minute lead with a deflected effort. But Wade Elliott equalised six minutes later with a shot from the edge of the area, which also took a deflection.

City remain 15th in the table - four points and six places above the drop zone.

Gary Madine scored the only goal of the game in the 38th minute. Credit: Dave Howarth/EMPICS Sport

Swindon Town's play-off hopes have been dented after losing 1-0 at Carlisle.

Gary Madine scored the only goal of the game shortly before half-time.

The hosts also had James Berrett sent off for a second yellow card in stoppage time.

Swindon are 8th in the table - four points off a play-off place.


Steve Mildenhall helped earn Rovers a point at Wimbledon. Credit: Mike Egerton/EMPICS Sport

Bristol Rovers picked up a vital point in their battle to avoid relegation from League Two.

Steve Mildenhall was the Pirates' hero with several good saves.

Rovers felt they should have had a penalty when Matt Harold was pulled in the area by Darren Jones.

The draw leaves Darrell Clarke's men four points clear of the relegation zone after second-from-bottom Northampton won away at Accrington.

Byron Harrison gave Cheltenham the lead just before half-time. Credit: Dave Howarth/PA Archive

Cheltenham slipped to a home defeat, despite leading at the interval.

Byron Harrison's volley gave the Robins the lead on the stroke of half time, but Southend scored twice in the second half.

Barry Corr pounced on a loose ball in the 64th minute, before Kevan Hurst added a second just three minutes later.

Cheltenham are 13th in the table, nine points off the play-off places.

More on this story