Warning after nine cats poisoned in two weeks

Pet owners are being warned to be on their guard for antifreeze Credit: ITV West

Pet owners are being warned to remain vigilant after nine cats have been killed in just two weeks.

The animals were each poisoned by antifreeze and owners in Linden are being asked to keep watch for signs of the chemical, which cats lap up because of its sweet taste.

The liquid causes kidney failure however, which is ultimately fatal.

69-year-old Jenny Lane had to put her much-loved five-year-old cat, Minnie, down after she was found seriously ill.

It is not yet known if the deaths are intentional or whether the toxic liquid was spilled.

Vet Cliff Alderman, from SPA Vets in Gloucester, said he was stunned by the number of cat deaths.

The RSCPA are echoing the advice to drivers to ensure the chemicals are stored away from pets and to check their vehicles aren't leaking the fluid onto roads and driveways.

She also urged people to avoid using the liquid in the garden.