Playground paint could be poisoning children
Playground equipment in the South West could pose a potential health hazard to children using it.
Scientist from Plymouth University have found dangerously high levels of lead in the paint used.
Samples were taken from all sorts of play structures including swings, slides, and see-saws.
Paint used in the UK should be lead-free or contains less than 2,500 parts per million.
But, this study showed that in some instances, levels of up to 152,000 parts per million of lead were detected on playground equipment.
The study made a number of recommendations:
Surfaces should be monitored regularly for condition
Paint in poor condition should be carefully removed and structures stabilised and repainted with lead-free paint, or equipment replaced
Parents should be made aware of the dangers of children sucking or biting painted surfaces or ingesting paint chips
Stricter controls should be applied to domestic and imported paints used for playgrounds
A spokesperson for Plymouth City Council said they had worked closely with Plymouth University while they carried out the research and will use the findings as part of an ongoing monitoring of play area safety.