Flames were coming through the pavement

Two properties in Newquay had to be evacuated earlier this morning after fire broke out in an electrical installation underground. People living nearby were also warned to stay indoors and keep their windows closed.

Crews were called to Trebarwith Crescent just after 8 o'clock this morning, 1 August, after people reported seeing smoke coming from a manhole in the road. Sean Taylor from Cornwall Fire and Rescue Service says there were even reports of smoke coming through the pavement.

On arrival, it was quickly established that it was an electrical fire and there were also fears that gas was involved. Western Power and Transco were called in. Once the supply was cut off, firefighters were able to put out the fire.

Cornwall Fire and Rescue understands the fire was caused by a combination of wear and tear and too much demand on the system. Many of the properties were town houses which have since been converted to homes of multiple occupancy - which can increase demand on the electrical supply.