Pet cats die after being poisoned in Chippenham

Tammy and Trigger had to be put to sleep by vets Credit: RSPCA

The RSPCA is appealing to the public for information after two pet cats sadly died after suffering the effects of poison.

The two cats, one year old Trigger and five year old Tammy, had to be put to sleep by vets after showing signs of suspected antifreeze poisoning.

Trigger was found collapsed by a neighbour on Willow Grove, Chippenham, Wiltshire last Tuesday (6/9) and rushed straight to the vets.

The cat's owner Hayley Archer was then told he looked like he had been poisoned by antifreeze and despite the best efforts of vets to put Trigger on a drip he didn’t make it through the night.

Another of Hayley's cats Tammy, also died from the poison Credit: RSPCA

Hayley was then asked to monitor the other three cats at her home she shares with her partner and a friend. When she realised two had been sick at around the same time as Trigger she rushed them to the vets.

One was fine but sadly another, Tammy, also had to be put down after ingesting the poison.

Their vet confirmed that a blood test for both cats showed signs of antifreeze which had poisoned them.

Hayley lost two of her cats to poisoning Credit: RSPCA

RSPCA chief inspector John Atkinson said: “This is a very sad situation but the owners have done the right thing by trying to spread the word to neighbours and by ensuring their pets were taken to a vet as quickly as possible.

“Worryingly, poisoning is not uncommon and cats are naturally inquisitive, so it’s possible they had consumed something poisonous by accident. However, we cannot rule out the possibility that this could have been a deliberate act of cruelty, so if anybody has any information I would ask them to call me in complete confidence on 0300 123 8018, where they can leave me a message.”

Poisoning, what to look out for:

  • depression

  • lack of appetite

  • vomiting

  • diarrhoea

  • breathing difficulties

  • appearing drunk and uncoordinated

  • twitching or seizures

People should be careful when putting down any substances which are potentially poisonous to ensure that other animals are not affected (eg slug pellets) and that substances are stored appropriately and properly disposed of, rather than dumping them on a roadside or in a park.