The mother of a barman from Somerset whose body was found washed up on the Isles of Scilly has told ITV News she's convinced his death wasn't an accident and welcomes a new police inquiry.

A major crime team has taken over the investigation into the death of Josh Clayton, after he went missing on the island of Tresco in September 2015.

An inquest into his death was suspended after it heard how he'd been involved in a scuffle at a party before he went missing and that he could have been pushed into the water.

His mother, Tracey, believes officers from Devon and Cornwall Police failed to do their job when he was first reported missing.

Devon and Cornwall Police have issued a statement: "We are aware of the Clayton family's request for another force to investigate this case and we are considering that request."

Josh Clayton, who was 23 year's old, went missing from the island of Tresco in September 2015 after attending a party.

Mr Clayton, from Taunton in Somerset, worked on the island as a bar manager.

Police carried out a detailed search for him lasting over a week, but their attempt was unsuccessful.

Eleven days after Josh originally went missing his body was found on rocks on a small island north of Tresco. He was spotted by a French yachtsman on the uninhabited island of Tean and was brought to the mainland.

Police carrying out a detailed search for Josh Clayton Credit: Credit: Isles of Scilly Police

A Home Office forensic pathologist told a jury at the inquest into the death that it was possible Josh may have fallen into the sea or could have walked into the water.

Dr Russell Delaney, who carried out a post mortem examination, said Mr Clayton had two and a half times the legal limit of alcohol in his body.

He said though there were no signs Mr Clayton had drowned or that he'd "suffered significant injury entering the water".

Dr Delaney said the body was badly decomposed and it was not possible to ascertain the cause of Mr Clayton's death.

Under cross examination from the family’s barrister Thomas Leeber, he said it was ‘possible’ that Josh had been pushed into the sea.