Yeovil Hospital hit by norovirus

Yeovil District Hospital has closed a ward to new admissions and asked visitors to stay away after patients and staff went down with the diarrhoea and vomiting bug, norovirus.

16 patients and 3 members of staff on ward 7B are currently unwell with the virus.

Intensive cleaning is now underway

Washing your hands properly can help stop the spread of norovirus Credit: PA

Yeovil Hospital has issued some helpful advice on stopping the spread of Norovirus, which is extremely infectious.

It says that simple things like washing your hands properly, being very careful with the handling of food and avoiding contact with other people who show symptoms will all help avoid getting infected and the spread of the virus.

Although most people will usually get better in a day or so, people who are physically frail can be affected more severely.


  • Stay away from work, school or college until you have been free of symptoms for at least 48 hours

  • Do not handle or prepare food for other people until you have been symptom free for a minimum period of 48 hours

  • Do not visit friends or relatives in hospitals or residential care homes to avoid introducing the infection to environments where it could spread easily and put vulnerable people at greater risk

  • Do not attend social gatherings until you have been free of all symptoms for at least 48 hours

  • Do not visit your GP surgery or local A&E Unit. You will recover naturally without treatment, but it is important to rest and keep yourself hydrated

  • Wash your hands thoroughly and regularly at all times, but particularly after toilet visits and before eating

  • Do not share towels with others. If possible, use paper towels after hand-washing and dispose of them immediately

  • Thoroughly disinfected surfaces at home or in the workplace after an episode of illness

  • If your symptoms persist or appear to be worsening, phone your family doctor or NHS 111 for advice

  • If you have bloody diarrhoea (blood in your stools), phone your doctor or NHS 111 urgently for advice.