A Somerset animal charity is urging people to clear up after themselves in parks after a heron has died because it's beak was trapped shut by netting.
Secret World Wildlife Rescue attempted to save the bird, but it was too late, 'Harry the heron' passed away a day after being taken in by the charity.
The heron was first spotted on 25 April in Eastville Park, Bristol. The local community became concerned for the bird's welfare and a few days later, two local residents caught him.
Secret World has issued a list of simple tips of what people can do with household waste to prevent wildlife injuries:
- Cut up plastic ring pulls that hold cans together
- Pick up bits of string and twine
- Pinch cans and containers closed
- Tie a knot in the top of plastic bags
- Clean and recycle glass jars and bottles
- Take any unwanted fishing line home and cut it up into small pieces