A South West animal charity is warning of the dangers of the litter in the countryside after a cygnet was found with the handle of a plastic bag wrapped around its neck.
The North Devon Animal Ambulance service received "numerous calls" about a family of swans at Braunton Burrows. Alarmed members of the public told the team that a cygnet was struggling to get out of a plastic bag which was "getting tighter".
A member of the animal ambulance team caught the cygnet before an examination found there were no further problems. The bag was cut off and removed and the young swan was returned to its family.
The animal ambulance shared the incident on its Facebook page with a reminder of the impact litter can have on wildlife, objects like plastic bags causing some animals to "die a slow, miserable death."