People living near the site of an explosion in Gloucester that sent toxic gases over their homes say they are concerned a long-term health study may never be published.
The blast happened at the CSG waste processing plant in Sandhurst 17 years ago.
The company was prosecuted and fined.
CSG has since sold the site, but those left behind say their health has been affected and fear nothing will come of the investigation.
Jayne Overthrow who used to live in Sandhurst told ITV she blames the fumes for her husband's death from cancer.
Other members of the local community claim they have fallen victim to the long term effects of inhaling the toxic fumes which poured out of the site during the fire.
Rachael Hyde remembers walking her dog with her late husband 17 years ago, the day after the fire.
The type of cancer Rachael had can be associated with exposure to radiation.
Two drums of low-level radioactive waste were found at the CSG site after the fire.
It is not known if other drums were destroyed by the fire.
Tests were carried out and no evidence of radioactive contamination were discovered.
Concerns have led to a 20-year study into any possible long-term health effects from the fumes.
ITV News has discovered there were plans to close down the study early.
An e-mail from Gloucestershire County Council's Public Health department sent two years ago says:
"The research team and ourselves are considering winding down and stopping the study. There are escalating demands for time and resources and there has been no adverse effect detected so far. There are other calls on how we use our resources of time and money. We would like to sound out how local people feel."
Mike Moorhead runs the Sandhurst Action Group which has campaigned for villagers' health to be monitored.
He says despite reassurances the study may be being stalled.
CSG says in a statement: