A senior detective with Devon and Cornwall Police has apologised to the family of a man who died on the Isles of Scilly for the way the original investigation was handled.
23-year-old Josh Clayton's body was found washed up on rocks on the Tresco, where he had been working as a barman.
- The inquest as it happened:
At the inquest, Josh Clayton's family, from Taunton, questioned why there was a 10-day delay in carrying out the post-mortem.
Detective Chief Superintendent Steve Parker from Force's Major Investigations Team admitted it was unacceptable, and apologised to the family.
He also revealed that misconduct complaints were being investigated against officers involved in the first inquiry.
This is the second inquest to be held in Plymouth, after the first one was abandoned last January.
A witness at the party Josh had attended, told the original inquest told police police he saw Josh arguing with two Eastern European workers outside where the party was held.
Leory Thomas added Josh then ran off, shouting, "I've had enough, I'm going to kill myself".
Det. Chief Supt. Parker told the inquest Mr Thomas had given five accounts of what happened that night, with each one differing slightly.
He added there were no suspicious circumstances in Josh's death, and no third party involved.
The jury also heard from Clive Sibley, a crew member on the St Mary's lifeboat who is based on the Isles of Scilly.
Mr Sibley had been part of the crew tasked to go to recover Josh's body, which was spotted by a French yachtsman on a rocky output called Tean, north of Tresco.
He gave an account of how they recovered the body and said to the family it was one of the most mysterious and sad things that has happened on Scilly.
The inquest is due to continue and will end on Wednesday, 12 December.