1. ITV Report

Police investigate violence at Bristol City v Swansea City

Police are investigating after rival fans clashed during Bristol City’s home match against Swansea.

Footage has emerged which shows fans brawling in the stands during the fixture on Saturday (February 2), which the Robins won 2-0.

Officers from Avon and Somerset Police had to use dogs and horses to separate those involved as the violence continued outside Ashton Gate after full-time.

Two pubs were damaged while a German Shepherd police dog needed veterinary treatment after being injured.

Fights broke out between Bristol City and Swansea City fans at Ashton Gate

Chief Superintendent Paul Mogg said: “It is very disappointing that a large group of Swansea fans seem to have arrived in Bristol with the intention of drinking to excess and seeking confrontation.

“There was disorder within the ground, with objects thrown by each group of supporters.

“There was further disorder after the match in Ashton Park. Officers deployed with dogs and horses to separate the two groups of fans.

“We’ve also had reports of damage at least two pubs. We’ll thoroughly investigate these and any other offences disclosed.”

Chief Supt Mogg added an officer was struck in the face by a coin while a mounted officer and colleague on foot were shoved into a fence.

The violence continued outside Ashton Gate after the match

All three officers remained on duty but later received medical assessment. The horse was uninjured.

In a statement, Bristol City said some 800 Swansea fans arrived 20 minutes after kick-off "and immediately removed the segregation nets on the east corner of the Atyeo Stand".

"Twenty-five Swansea City fans were removed during the game and there were a number of arrests.

"Regrettably, several Bristol City supporters were involved in altercations in the corner of the Atyeo Stand and Dolman Stand before being apprehended.

"The incident in its entirety was captured on CCTV and a formal investigation in conjunction with the Avon and Somerset Police match commander and our head of safety is under way."

A man from Swansea was arrested for assaulting another man from Wales in North Street but later released without charge.