Two injured in Buckfastleigh gas explosion

Damage to the bungalow after a suspected gas explosion in Buckfastleigh Credit: ITV News West Country

A woman in her seventies remains in a Bristol hospital with serious burns after a suspected gas explosion at a bungalow in South Devon.

Emergency services including an air ambulance attended the blast in Buckfastleigh at around 8am on Saturday 23 March.

A second person was treated for minor injuries.

After the incident a fundraising page was set up and raised more than £1,000 in less than 24 hours.

According to the organiser of the page, "at least three local residents will have lost almost everything" and all money donated will be split between "those directly affected to help them replace possessions and rebuild their lives".

Neighbours reported hearing a loud explosion, with some saying they felt a shudder in their homes.

People living close to the bungalow are still not allowed to return to their homes as emergency crews continue to work out what happened and make the building safe.

Damage to the roof of a bungalow after a suspected gas explosion in Buckfastleigh Credit: Trevor Benham, Facebook

Wales and West Utilities released this statement:

Police and Devon Fire and Rescue Service and partners are working to establish the cause.