Advertisement

  1. ITV Report

Teen, 15, dies from ecstasy overdose in Bristol hotel room

Jackson Gibbons died from an ecstasy overdose.

A teenager died in a Bristol hotel room after overdosing on ecstasy pills supplied by a friend, an inquest has heard.

Jackson Gibbons, 15, travelled to Bristol on April 2 last year to attend an under-18s event at Lakota nightclub.

Prior to the event, the teen, from Pontypool, checked into a Premier Inn with a friend - which is where they are believed to have taken the drugs.

Later in the evening, Jackson - who had not told his parents about his trip to Bristol - suffered an adverse reaction to the pills.

Jackson travelled to Bristol with a friend to go to an under-18s rave.

An inquest into the teen's death heard Jackson's facial expressions changed, and he started to lose his balance.

Jackson’s friend, who admitted to supplying the drugs but cannot be named for legal reasons, said the 15-year-old’s body started “vibrating”.

The pair left the rave and returned to their hotel as Jackson’s condition continued to deteriorate.

Jackson was staying at a Premier Inn hotel in Bristol. Credit: PA

Father Tyrone Gibbons, a retired police officer, said he spoke with Jackson at about 9.20pm on the night he died about when he was coming home.

During the conversation, he asked if Jackson had taken drugs and was told "yes".

"That was the last conversation I had with him," said Mr Gibbons.

Shortly after the call, Jackson collapsed and an ambulance was requested.

The inquest heard Jackson had taken three ecstasy pills before attending the rave. (Pictured: stock image of ecstasy pills). Credit: PA

The teen was pronounced dead at the scene.

A post mortem examination revealed Jackson had 2.52 milligrammes of ecstasy per litre of blood in his system.

The inquest at Avon Coroner’s Court heard how as little as 0.4 milligrammes per litre could be fatal.

Toxicology reports revealed no other drugs were in Jackson's system when he died.

Assistant coroner Dr Simon Fox QC concluded Jackson's death was drug related.