Advertisement

  1. ITV Report

Warning to keep mirrors away from sunlight after major house fire in South Devon

10 fire fighters were called to the house in Modbury. Credit: Devon & Somerset Fire and Rescue Service

People are being warned not to leave mirrors near windows in the sunshine after a fire badly damaged a house in South Devon.

10 firefighters were called to Brownston Street in Modbury just after 6pm on Sunday after reports of a large house on fire.

The blaze is thought to have started due to the sun reflecting off a mirror and setting the bedroom curtains on fire.

Fortunately, no one was injured in the fire, and Area Manager, Gerald Taylor said it was under control by 8pm.

After tweeting about the incident, one user responded saying "Any glass ornaments/vases on windowsills can cause magnification & concentrate Sun."

Sorry, this content isn't available on your device.