A Filton robber who threatened his victims with a knife after hunting them down on social media has been jailed for 10 years.
20-year-old Jalees Ahmad from Filton carried out the attacks over a 12-day period in March this year (2019).
He used social media and classified ad websites to find people selling expensive mobile phones and turned up at their homes with a knife to steal the items.
Ahmad was sentenced at Bristol Crown Court on Thursday 25 April to 10 years in prison.
His charges include five counts of robbery, one count of theft, five counts of possessing a bladed article and possession with intent to supply cannabis.
He had a suspended sentence from a previous offence which was also activated.
The 20-year-old from Filton carried out the robberies in the Bristol, Keynsham, Kingswood and Weston-super-Mare areas.
One victim was stabbed when he tried to defend himself and is still recovering from his injuries.
Avon and Somerset Police used DNA technology to identify Ahmad. He left his knife at the scene of one of his robberies which was used to provide a DNA match.
His fingerprint was also identified on a iPhone box.
Here are some tips to keep you safe when selling online:
- Agree to meet the buyer in a public place where there will be plenty of people around.
- Don't be drawn into remote areas.
- Be aware of your surroundings - avoid places that have poor street lighting or where your meeting could be shielded from view.
- Meet during busy times and in daylight hours.
- Tell someone where you are going and who you are meeting.
- If possible, always go with someone else.
- Don't allow potential buyers control of the item before you know they're genuine.
- Keep a record of the seller's details including email addresses and phone number. Make a mental note of their description and record the registration of any vehicle they might have.
- Keep your phones switched on.
- Dial 999 if you feel threatened.
- If you're uncomfortable with any aspect of the meeting place or the person trust your instincts, do not stay or do not agree to meet and cancel the sale.