Advertisement

  1. ITV Report

Lightning strike causes thatched Devon house to go up in flames

The thatched house in Meeth, Devon, was destroyed by the fire. Credit: Sarah Allen

A newly-thatched house in Devon was destroyed by fire after being struck by lightning.

The property, situated in the village of Meeth near Okehampton, was struck by the lightning bolt around 9pm last night (June 10).

A fire quickly spread from the thatched roof to the rest of the property, sparking a major response from regional fire crews.

Six fire crews were involved in tackling the fire. Credit: Sarah Allen

Two appliances from nearby Hatherleigh and Torrington were first on the scene, before a further six crews from across the county were mobilised.

According to Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service, the fire took several hours to bring under control.

The fire quickly spread to adjoining buildings with the first floor and the roof well alight by midnight. Crews described it as a protracted incident.

By 6am, crews said the fire was under control and the incident has been scaled back to three appliances. The cause of the fire has been confirmed as a lightning strike to the recently re-thatched roof.

– Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service

Fortunately, no one was injured as a result of the fire.

Watch video of the fire here: