Advertisement

  1. ITV Report

Plymouth pensioner 'lucky to be alive' after neighbour rescues him from house fire

Stuart Price was rescued by his next-door neighbour. Credit: ITV News West Country

A Plymouth pensioner who was rescued from a house fire in the early hours of this morning says he is lucky to be alive - thanks to the actions of his quick-thinking neighbour.

Stuart Price was trapped in his bedroom as the blaze broke out at about 5am on Monday, but was woken by a smoke alarm and managed to alert his next-door neighbour, who brought a ladder for Stuart to climb down to safety.

I went to the bedroom door, just opened it slightly, wow. Saw all the smoke and flames on the landing, oh my god. Shut the door, picked up my mobile, straight to the bedroom window, rang the fire brigade first and then shouted out for somebody to help me. But who's going to be around at that time of the morning? Luckily my neighbour had opened the bedroom window at night because it was hot, and he heard me, or his wife heard me. She said 'Quick get the ladder' 'Where's the ladder?' ' In the garage you fool'. So he came round, got the ladder up and got me out of the bedroom.

– Stuart Price

Stuart believes that the fire was caused by a charged for a small wireless hoover, which he had left plugged in overnight. The fire service are continuing their investigations.

The fire is believed to have been caused by a charger for a wireless hoover. Credit: ITV News West Country

Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service received a call from a member of the public reporting a fire in their property at the above location. At the time of call, the occupier was still inside the property. Two fire appliances from Crownhill and Plympton were immediately mobilised by fire control. On arrival, the incident commander confirmed that there was a fire on the first floor landing of the property and requested the attendance of a third appliance from Greenbank. The occupier who had been trapped by the fire had been assisted out of the property by a neighbour using a ladder to the first floor window.Crews got to work to extinguish the fire using breathing apparatus, hose reel jets, a safety jet and a thermal imagine camera. They then cleared residing smoke from the property using a positive pressure ventilation fan.

– Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue spokesman