Fire crews tackle blaze at Paignton pub

The blaze took hold of the first floor of the pub, which also included residential flats. Credit: Devon Live

People are showing their support for those affected by a large fire that broke out inside a Paignton pub and spread to residential flats.

Watch the video footage here:

Crews were called to Dartmouth Road at around 5:30pm on Saturday 27 July to reports that smoke was coming from the window of a flat above The Lime Tree pub.

They later confirmed the fire was taking hold of the first floor, which also contains residential flats.

Appliances from Paignton, Torquay, Brixham and Newton Abbot were called to assist with extinguishing it.

It was soon confirmed everyone was accounted for and nobody was injured.

People in the community are now trying to help those affected and have started appealing for clothing donations and set up fundraising pages.

The Lime Tree pub posted on their Facebook page early this morning (Sunday 28 July) and claimed the blaze "started accidentally with a fridge malfunction".

A team member said they are "working hard today to see what possessions can be saved for those living upstairs, and to assess the damage."

The pub will be closed until further notice.

Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service said the building suffered 50% fire damage and 100% smoke and heat damage.