Brixham restaurant evacuated and bomb squad called in after ‘grenade fuses’ found

Brixham's Rockfish restaurant was evacuated after "unexploded grenade fuses" were found nearby. Credit: Kirsten Clarke / @kirstenparrick

A Brixham restaurant was evacuated by emergency services after “unexploded grenade fuses” were found nearby.

Hundreds of customers were told to leave Rockfish and vacate the area after the devices were discovered around 2pm.

A picture of the scene, taken by diner Kirsten Clarke, showed four marked police vehicles parked outside the restaurant, which overlooks the harbour.

A spokesperson for Devon and Cornwall Police said it is believed the devices were dredged up by a boat.

Police were called to Brixham Harbour at around 2.05pm with a report that unexploded hand grenade fuses had been found in the area.

Devon and Cornwall Police

Updates on this incident, which is ongoing, will be published below.

  • Update

The Brixham harbour master has issued a warning after "potentially lethal munition" was left on a quayside this afternoon, prompting a mass evacuation and 100-metre police cordon.

Royal Navy bomb disposal specialists removed more than 100 hand grenade fuses from Brixham harbour in south Devon.

It is the fifth such incident to have occurred at the harbour in the past two months.

On this occasion, the incident sparked an evacuation of the whole area and forced passenger ferries to divert to the opposite side of the harbour.

It has prompted a stern warning from Tor Bay harbour master Adam Parnell.

Following the discovery of a case of hand grenade fuses on the fishing quay at Brixham a 100 meter police cordon is currently in place around the Harbour area. The bomb squad are on route and we await their guidance on next steps. While the cordon is in place ferries have been diverted to another part of the harbour. This is the fifth occurrence in the last two months with regards to devices being found around the Harbour area in Brixham. Leaving potentially lethal munition on the quayside is irresponsible and could lead to a very serious incident, or, as in this case, disruption to both the fish market and local passenger ferry companies.

Adam Parnell, speaking to Devon Live