Main roads through Dartmoor will be shut from today as five weeks of road closures begin.
The works could see journeys take almost seven times as long, as several arterial routes are resurfaced. Some diversions are as long as 40 miles.
Repairs will take place in the Two Bridges, Dartmeet, Poundsgate and Warren House area, with the B3357, B3212 and B3387 roads affected.
The estimated five weeks of repairs will see road close or partly close over the next couple of months as damaged roads are resurfaced and cattle grids replaced.
In a bid to cause as little disruption as possible the works will be spread out in phases, the first is expected to last three weeks and the second to last for two weeks.
Signed diversion routes will be in place through all phases of closures and, with an added distance of over 40 miles for some routes, drivers are advised to check travel times before setting off.
- Two Bridges area: 2 September (road open with traffic lights)
- Two Bridges to Hexworthy Turn: 3 to 6 September
- Brimpts Farm to Dartmeet: 11 and 12 September
- Poundsgate to Dartmeet: 13 to 25 September (including cattle grid replacement at Dartmeet)
- Warren House to Challacombe Cross: 30 September to 11 October. (The signed diversion route is via Moretonhampstead, Whiddon Down, A30, Tavistock and Two Bridges)
- B3387 at Hemsworthy Gate: 7 to 9 October for cattle grid replacement. (The signed diversion route is via Bovey Tracy, A38 and Ashburton)