Up to 50 people have contacted police following a new appeal into the murder of Melanie Hall from Bradford Leigh in Wiltshire.
The 25-year-old clerical assistant - who worked at Bath's Royal United Hospital - went missing from a nightclub in the city in 1996. Her remains were found by Junction 14 of the M5 in South Gloucestershire ten years ago.
Officers say they are investigating every message and still want people to get in touch. They say one phone call could "solve the case":
A spokesperson for Avon and Somerset Police said, “We’ve had up to 50 messages and phone calls from members of the public following our renewed appeal in connection with the murder of Melanie Hall.
“We’d like to thank everyone who’s taken the time to read our appeal and contact us. All information received will be looked into to see if it can take us any further in our investigation.
“We still need people to call us with information relating to the key appeal points outlined in our anniversary appeal. One phone call could help us to solve this case and achieve justice for Melanie’s family.”
Avon and Somerset Police have thanked people for getting in touch but would still like to hear from them on the various key points noted below. They are using a special website to share information about Melanie's death:
“Around 20 of the messages came into us through the Major Incident Public Portal - https://mipp.police.uk/operation/5201020103A06-PO1 - which we’ve used for the first time in this investigation.
Can you help the investigation team?
• Did you own a length, or lengths, of blue polypropylene rope which went missing around June 1996, or do you know someone who possessed rope of this kind whose behaviour or demeanour may have changed since the summer of 1996?
• Were you involved in the aftermath of this crime in any way? Maybe you assisted with the deposition of Melanie's body but were not involved in the murder. We want to hear from you now.
• Did you see Melanie after 1.10am on Sunday 9 June? Did you see her leave the Cadillacs nightclub, or go elsewhere within the nightclub other than sitting by the dancefloor, or see who she was with, at any time after this?
• Were you in Cadillacs nightclub that night? It was the evening where England drew 1-1 with Switzerland in the opening game of the football Euro 96 Championships? If you were there and haven’t spoken to police, please contact us.
• Did you see any suspicious activity or a vehicle parked on the northbound J14 slipway of the M5 at Thornbury in the early hours of Sunday 9 June 1996 or the days immediately afterwards?
• Are you concerned about the change in behaviour of a friend or relative, or anyone showing a particular interest in this inquiry?
• Do you have information on where Melanie’s clothing or belongings may be? They’ve never been found. They include a pale blue silk dress with a round neck, black suede mule shoes with straps across the front and an open toe, size 5 or 6, a cream single-breasted, long-sleeved jacket and a black satchel-type handbag.
• In Melanie’s handbag were cosmetics and a Midland cheque book and bank card. Also missing are items of jewellery including a Next watch with expanding bracelet and silver drop earrings. Where are these items? Have you ever seen them?
Anyone with information is asked to call the Operation Denmark incident room on 01278 648934 or give information online.