Advertisement

  1. ITV Report

Caravan near Bodmin destroyed after huge tumble dryer fire explodes gas cylinders

Firefighters were called to the site at Conce Moor, near Lockengate. Credit: Bodmin Community Fire Station

A huge fire started by a tumble dryer has destroyed a static caravan near Bodmin.

More than ten gas cylinders exploded in the blaze which then spread to a stack of hay bales, next to a barn of cattle.

Credit: Bodmin Community Fire Station
Credit: Bodmin Community Fire Station

Firefighters were called to the site at Conce Moor, near Lockengate just before midday on Wednesday (17 October).

Crews from Bodmin, St Dennis, St Austell, Launceston, Mevagissey and Liskeard all attended.

Services cooled the gas cylinders to prevent the fire spreading and eventually extinguished the blaze more than four hours later.

20 gas cylinders were involved in the incident, 11 of which exploded. Credit: Bodmin Community Fire Station

Cornwall Fire and Rescue Service says the fire was accidental.

Bodmin Community Fire Station tweeted a reminder to "clean the lint filters in your tumble dryers" to avoid unnecessary risk.