1. ITV Report

Teen jailed for rape of 10-year-old girl in Exmouth

A 17-year-old has been jailed for the rape of a 10-year-old girl in Exmouth. Credit: ITV West Country

A 17-year-old has been jailed for seven years for raping a 10-year-old girl and leaving her unconscious in a stream in Exmouth.

The attack happened on Thursday 4 October last year (2018) as the girl was walking home from school.

Today (Thursday 7 November) Bristol Crown Court heard she had taken her phone out to call her mother when she heard footsteps behind her.

Then it was heard she was grabbed around the throat and dragged down a bank into a stream, before she was raped and fell unconscious.

The teenager, who cannot be named for legal reasons, fled the scene immediately after and was arrested by police the following day.

Members of the public said they heard the girl screaming for a teacher, who helped her before calling the police.

Mrs Justice May sentenced the boy to seven years and two months in prison, with an extended sentence of eight years on licence which will be served after his release.

She said:

You violated her in the most ugly and cruel way. After raping her, you stayed for a short while before leaving her in that state - half in and half out of the water, soaking wet. Why on earth did you do it?

– Mrs Justice May

The boy was cycling home on October 4 last year when he saw the girl close to the riverbank.

He ran up to her, grabbed her and threw her phone into nearby bushes and proceeded to attack her.

The judge said he told a psychiatrist he was "angry, full of resentment and wanted to cause damage" to another person.

According to Mrs Justice May, he believed a violent sexual attack would cause "the most psychological harm".

You took steps to inflict the most damage you could on a young person much smaller than you. You used a great deal of force on her and you were aware of the impact of your actions.

– Mrs Justice May

She said the impact on the victim and her family was "as bad as it possibly could be."

Earlier this year a jury acquitted the boy of a charge relating to the attempted murder of the 10-year-old girl, following a trial in March.

On the first day of his retrial later this year, the boy pleaded guilty to rape.