1. ITV Report

Final-year student at Bath Spa University dies from meningitis

A student at Bath Spa University has died after contracting meningitis, according to Public Health England.

The final-year student, who was studying business and management, died suddenly after being admitted to hospital at the weekend.

Public Health England (PHE) said those people who had been in close contact with the student had been given antibiotics as a precaution. It confirmed the student had died from Group B meningococcal meningitis.

Bath Spa's vice-chancellor Professor Sue Rigby told students in an email she wasn't aware of any other cases.

She also confirmed the university was in touch with friends and family of the student "supporting them in any way we can at this difficult and tragic time".

We are very sad to hear about the death of the student and our thoughts are with their family, friends and the university community.

We understand that there will be concern among students, staff and parents following this death, and we are following national guidelines to reduce the risk of infection spreading to close household contacts.

Those that have attended classes or have spent a short amount of time with the student are not classified as close household contacts. PHE wish to reassure all concerned that, apart from the very close contacts that have already received antibiotics, there is no need for a wider group to take antibiotics.

The best advice remains for students to ensure they are up to date with their vaccinations.

– Dr Toyin Ejidokun, Consultant in Health Protection for Public Health England South West

Symptoms of meningitis include vomiting, a severe headache, an unexplained rise in body temperature, dislike of bright lights, neck stiffness, a non-blanching rash, drowsiness, and altered levels of consciousness.

For more help on these issues click here.