Dorchester scrap metal blaze was an accident

A blaze which consumed 60 tonnes of scrap metal was ignited by accident, an investigation has found.

45 firefighters from stations all over Dorset descended on Dorchester on Wednesday, February 26, and fought through the early hours to bring the incident under control.

The Environment Agency joined fire crews on the scene as plumes of toxic smoke filled the night sky above St George's Road.

The Dorset and Wiltshire Fire and Rescue Service service posted a video showing the scale of the flames at their height.

At this stage we believe the fire to be accidental and the most likely cause was from a battery which had short-circuited within an electronic device.

Graham Kewley, Station Manager

The fire service is using this incident to remind people of the importance of removing batteries from electrical items before disposing of them.