Pilot dies after glider crash-lands in Cheltenham school playing fields

Police at the scene of the incident near St Edward's Prep School in Cheltenham.

Police have confirmed a man in his 90s has died after a glider crashed in the Charlton Kings playing fields in Cheltenham.

A second man also in the aircraft is currently receiving treatment at Southmead Hospital in Bristol.

The glider lost control of the aircraft and crashed close to St Edward’s Prep School around 1.20pm on 26 August.

The elderly pilot died at the scene.

Gloucestershire Police have handed the investigation to the Civil Aviation Authority.

One of the glider occupants has been taken to hospital.

Cotswold Gliding Club also confirmed details of the crash.

A spokesperson for the club said: "On August 26, 2020 a two-seater glider from the Cotswold Gliding Club was involved in an incident while on a local flight.

"One of the pilots received fatal injuries, while the other suffered minor injuries and was taken to a local hospital.

"At the moment, the Club does not have any further information about his condition. The incident is currently under investigation by the Air Accident Investigation Branch of the Department for Transport, the Civil Aviation Authority and the local police.

"Our thoughts are with the pilots’ families."

Headteacher Stephen McKernan, who was first on the scene, said he comforted the two gliders while waiting for the emergency services.

“I walked over to the gentlemen and spoke to them and comforted them at that time and told them I would get help,” he said.

St Edward's Prep School in Cheltenham.

"The response from the emergency services was incredible. Within ten to fifteen minutes, we had the air ambulance, we had fire crews and we had the ambulance themselves.”

A spokesperson for South Western Ambulance Service said: "We sent two land ambulance crews, one air ambulance crew, a critical care team and a senior paramedic to respond to two casualties.

"We were supported by police and fire service personnel. One of the patients, who was conscious and breathing, was treated at the scene and conveyed to hospital by land ambulance for further care.”

Read more: