A Chinese takeaway in Cornwall has been ordered to make major improvements after being given a zero food hygiene rating.
Fortune House in Victoria Road, St Austell, was inspected in December and given the lowest possible rating for food hygiene.
Inspectors from Cornwall Council carried out a full inspection and found a number of issues with the way the business is run and how the kitchen operates.
The Local Democracy Reporting Service obtained a full copy of the inspection report after submitting a Freedom of Information (FOI) request.
Among the recommendations made by the inspectors in the report, were the need to provide better training, cleanliness, preventing contamination of food and repairs required for equipment and storage.
Most of the 25 works required by the inspectors are listed as legal requirements with just two identified as “advisory recommendations”.
The inspectors said that they had only seen a certificate for food hygiene training for one member of staff and that they knew that at least two other food handlers working at the takeaway.
They also stated: “The cleanliness of the premises was poor, particular attention should be paid to hand contact surfaces, shelves, work surfaces, flooring and inside fridges and freezers.
“The wash hand basin in the kitchen was filled with empty pineapple cans, making it unusable. This basin must be kept clean and empty and available for use at all times for hand washing.”
On food preparation it states: “Rice had been cooked in the morning and had been left at room temperature cooling since 12pm in a dirty container and uncovered. Cooked foods like rice need to be cooled as quickly as possible (ideally within 90 minutes) and then refrigerated if not being immediately used to prevent harmful toxins forming.”
The report also states: “Raw chicken was defrosting in boxes in a container on the floor – you must not put any foods on the floor as this may result in contamination.”
It was also found that “no foods had any date labels on to know when they were produced or when they should be used by”.
The inspectors also found “many old raw chicken boxes were piled high on the sink in the back room”. They also found other waste stored and said it needed to be stored properly “so that pests are not attracted”.
A shed used to store bags of rice and food packaging was found to need replacing “as it is in such a poor state of repair”. The report adds: “This is unsuitable for storage and must be replaced with a unit that is pest proof.”
Inspectors also found “electrical issues” which need to be rectified by a qualified electrician. These included burnt plug sockets and “wires were hanging everywhere”. The takeaway was also told to get an up to date gas safety certificate.
The report also noted: “It has been alleged that smoking takes place in the back room – smoking is not permitted in any food rooms. Smokers should go outside and away from the windows in the food rooms.”
Inspectors also found that the “very basic” allergen matrix on the site was “incorrect and would mislead any customers who request information”.
The owners were advised to “go through your menu and identify all allergens”.
Credit: Richard Whitehouse, Local Democracy Reporter