Hinkley Point C death: Man in his 40s suffered 'crush injury' in accident at nuclear site

The incident is the first fatality at the project

Work may not resume in full at the Hinkley Point C construction site until later this week, following the death of a man there.

ITV News West Country understands a man in his 40s, who was working as a contractor for Bylor, died following a ‘crush injury’ involving a piece of mobile plant machinery on Sunday 13 November.

Only essential staff were told to turn up for work on Monday 14 November. There will be a small number of people on site and the Office for Nuclear Regulation (ONR) will review whether it is safe to open fully either tomorrow or later this week.

The incident is the first fatality at the project, which was given the go-ahead by the UK government in 2016. It is expected to start generating power in June 2027.

In a statement issued on Sunday, delivery director at Hinkley Point C Nigel Cann said: “We are very sad to confirm that one of our team was involved in a fatal construction traffic incident this morning during planned work activities.

"The incident is being investigated by the police and the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) and we will co-operate fully with the authorities.

"Work at the site has been stood down and we are offering support to colleagues affected by this tragic event. Our thoughts are with his family, friends and colleagues at this very difficult time.”

In a statement today, a HSE spokesperson confirmed it was at the site over the weekend and the investigation has now been passed on to the ONR.

An ONR spokesperson said: “On Sunday morning, we were informed about a fatality at the Hinkley Point C construction site in Somerset following an incident involving a construction vehicle.

“Our thoughts are with the deceased’s family, friends and colleagues at this tragic time.

“ONR is on the site and working alongside other relevant authorities.

“ONR is the enforcing and investigating authority on a nuclear licensed site in respect of health and safety.”

An Avon and Somerset Police spokesperson told ITV News West Country a man in his 60s has been voluntarily interviewed in relation to the man's death.

“Officers continue to liaise with the ONR and enquiries into the man’s death, which isn’t currently being treated as suspicious, are ongoing," they added.

“Our thoughts remain with the man’s family at this sad time.”

It is understood that the site’s chaplain and around 400 mental health ‘buddies’ are supporting staff following the incident.