Torquay Girls' Grammar School evacuated due to chemical spill in storage room

Torquay Girls' Grammar Schools has had to evacuate it's pupils after a chemical spill Credit: Google

An all-girls school in Devon has been evacuated following a chemical spill that led to emergency services being called out.

Fire crews were called to Torquay Girls' Grammar School at around 11am this morning (28 November) after a spill in a storage room.

Three Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service vehicles attended the scene and remain at the site this afternoon. ITV News West Country understands no-one has been injured.

The nature of the chemical spill is still unknown but the storage cupboard where it happened has been closed off to students, according to the fire service.

Statement from the headteacher:

A statement posted on school's Facebook page said: "Staff at TGGS were praised by the local Fire Brigade for their swift and precautionary response today.

"A small chemical reaction took place in a secure, ventilated chemical preparation room. This was promptly spotted by one of the school's trained technical staff. The safety of all students and staff is of paramount importance and as such the decision was swiftly taken to evacuate the building as a precautionary measure.

"The Fire Brigade attended and were equally quick to praise the response and professionalism of both the school staff, its procedures, protocols and quick decision-making in evacuating the building."

The headteacher, Ms Foster, added: "I am extremely proud of both our students and staff in how they responded and conducted themselves throughout this event.

"I am also pleased to say that students were back in lessons after lunch."