Man dies at Splashdown Quaywest water park in Devon after 'suspected medical episode'

Splashdown Quaywest Credit: Google

A man in his 40s has died after suffering a "suspected medical episode" at a water park in Devon.

Emergency services attended Splashdown Quaywest near Paignton on Wednesday 23 August. A spokesman for Devon and Cornwall Police confirmed that a man in his 40s had died.

The full statement said: "Police were contacted by the ambulance service just after midday on Wednesday 23 August.

"They were at Splashdown Waterpark in Goodrington, Paignton, responding to reports of a man having suffered a suspected medical episode on site.

"Despite the best efforts of those at the scene the man, in his 40s and from the Bristol area, later died. His next of kin have been informed and a file is to be prepared for the coroner."

Before the police statement, the waterpark - which is the largest of its kind in the UK - issued its own statement on Facebook.

It said: "We are aware of an incident at Splashdown Quaywest waterpark at approximately 12.15 today.

"The person concerned is receiving medical attention from paramedics. We do not have any further details at present, but we have taken the decision to close the waterpark today.

"Until we have any information to release having conducted and consulted with any of the necessary authorities we would appreciate being left to deal with an unfolding situation and respect the privacy of the individual concerned and their family.

"We recognise this incident may have caused some upset amongst our visitors and apologise for any distress this may have caused, however, in an emergency the safety and well being of the person concerned was paramount due to the seriousness of the situation that presented itself.

"We are otherwise not able to make further comment at this time. We are very sorry to disappoint anyone."

A spokesperson for South Western Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust added: "We were called at 12:04 to a medical emergency in the Paignton area.

"We sent two double-crewed land ambulances, an air ambulance and an operations officer to the scene. One patient has been conveyed by land to Torbay Hospital."