Two teenagers arrested after boy, 16, is stabbed to death by 'masked attackers' in Bristol

ITV News West Country's Victoria Davies reports from the scene of the stabbing.

Two teenagers have been arrested after a 16-year-old boy was stabbed to death in Bristol.

The boys, both aged 15, have been detained on suspicion of murder over the fatal attack, which happened on Wednesday evening, Avon and Somerset Police said.

Police were called to the Easton area on 14 February at around 6pm where they found the teenager had been seriously injured. He died at the scene.

Officers say the victim was attacked in Rawnsley Park by two people wearing masks who then fled the scene on bicycles.

It's believed the injured teenager then ran to nearby Stapleton Road where he was helped by a motorist before collapsing in West Street, a ten-minute walk away in Old Market.

  • CCTV shows the van with the victim inside pull up before the driver runs out and tries to find help

A murder investigation has now been launched and a critical incident has been declared.

Supt Mark Runacres, the force’s Bristol Commander, said: “This evening, two 15-year-old boys were arrested in connection with the investigation and they have been taken to police custody where they will be questioned.

“Our collective thoughts are with the victim’s family and loved ones during what is undoubtedly a very difficult time. Specialist family liaison officers have been assigned to the family to provide them with support and keep them updated on the investigation.”

The victim is the fifth teenager to be stabbed in the city in the past three weeks.

Two teenagers, Mason Rist, 15, and Max Dixon, 16, were stabbed to death in the Knowle West area of the city on 27 January.

Another boy, 16, was stabbed at a McDonald's on The Horsefair in Bristol on Thursday 8 February.

Bristol Commander, Superintendent Mark Runacres of Avon and Somerset Police, described the incident as "sickening".

He said: "It's not something I've seen before in my experience of policing, I can't fathom why people are carrying the type of weapons that we are seeing."

Police say the boy was stabbed in Rawnsley Park during an attack by two people wearing masks. Credit: PA

He added that officers will be given enhanced stop and search powers from 5pm today.

The powers were authorised by the Chief Inspector and will last for an initial 24 hours, but can be extended for a maximum of 48 hours, Superintendent Mark Runacres said.

“This is not a decision we have taken lightly,” he added.

“We understand the fear that exists in some communities around stop and search.”

He added that the force is keeping an "open mind as to whether last night's incident is linked to any other assaults".

"We have lost another young life from our city in utterly horrific circumstances", he said.

“Our thoughts are with the victim’s family at what will be an unimaginably difficult time and officers will continue to support them.

“We are committed to bringing those responsible to justice and we will be working tirelessly to that end.

“While we are keeping an open mind, there is no clear evidence to suggest this is linked to other recent incidents in the city", he added.

West of England Mayor, Dan Norris, said: "My first thoughts are with the family and friends of this young man.

"It’s always a tragedy when a young person loses their life but particularly so when it is caused by such unnecessary and senseless violence.

The teenager was stabbed at around 6pm on 14 February. Credit: BPM Media

"People across the West of England are rightly concerned about what appears to be a growing trend of knife violence. This can’t go on.

"We must learn the lessons of this and other recent tragic knife incidents across our region.

"A new approach to knife crime - including its complex causes - is desperately needed."