Junior doctors across the West begin a second 24 hour strike at 8am this morning. The row centres on a disagreement over new contracts.Read the full story ›
In the last 5 years more than 600 junior doctors have already made the decision to leave the UK - many to working in places like Australia.Read the full story ›
Hundreds of patients in Devon and Cornwal have had operations and appointments cancelled despite a strike by junior doctors being called off at the last minute.
While a temporary agreement reached with the government means the planned three-day strike - which would have started at 8am today - has been called off, many procedures have been cancelled.
- The Royal Cornwall NHS Trust said it had been necessary to postpone 80 outpatient appointments of the normal 2000 a day and 7 routine operations.
- Plymouth Hospitals NHS Trust said as part of the contingency plan for the industrial action 29 planned operations and 210 outpatient appointments were postponed.
Health Secretary Jeremy Hunt told MPs on Monday that NHS England had estimated that up to 20,000 patients may have operations cancelled across all three days of planned action.
These included around 1,500 cataract operations, 900 skin lesion removals, 630 hip and knee operations, 400 spine operations, 250 gall bladder removals and nearly 300 tonsil and grommets operations.
Patients across the region have had operations and appointments cancelled despite a strike by junior doctors being called off.Read the full story ›
Weston General Hospital has released a list of those services that will, and won't, be affected by the planned junior doctor strike.
They said they will not be paying those who take industrial action - apart from those who are providing Emergency Care - and consultants will carry out additional tasks to cover.
Areas that are being affected:
- Outpatient clinics (some will run as normal)
- · All non-urgent scheduled operations
- · Physiotherapy clinics (our physios will be on the wards)
Services that will be open and running as normal
- Ashcombe Birth Centre
- · Oncology Day Unit
- · Seashore Paediatric Centre
- · Specialist Community Children’s Services
- · WISH Sexual Health Centre
- · Orthopaedic Fracture clinic
- · Radiography (X-Ray)
- · ITU
- · Emergency Department
Here's a list of how hospitals in our area are dealing with the planned 24 hour strike.Read the full story ›
As junior doctors prepare to strike for 24 hours from midnight tonight we answer your questions.Read the full story ›
As junior doctors prepare to strike for 24 hours from midnight tonight our Health Correspondent, Katie Rowlett answers your questions.Read the full story ›
Junior doctors from across the West have cast their vote to decide if medics will go on strike over proposed changes to their contracts.Read the full story ›