Live updates

Jemima's father tells inquest her brother was a hero

An inquest into the death of a 10-year-old girl who died on a skiing holiday has found her death was an accident. Jemima Prees from Colerne in Wiltshire was skiing with her father and brother when she careered off the slope and crashed into trees.

Jemima's brother spent 40 minutes trying to resuscitate his sister but couldn't save her. Her father told the coroner today that he was a hero. Laura Makin-Isherwood reports.

You can find out more how Jemima's death has helped others here.


BREAKING: Schoolgirl death accidental

The inquest into the death of a ten-year-old girl from Chippenham who died while skiing last February has found she died as the result of an accident.

Jemima Prees was on holiday with her family in the Austrian Alps when she hit a tree at high speed.

A postmortem examination found her death was caused by a traumatic brain injury, cervical spine injury along with swelling to the brain.

Inquest into death of girl killed in skiing accident

Jemima Rees. Credit: Family

The inquest will be held today into the death of a Wiltshire schoolgirl who tragically died on a family skiing holiday earlier this year.

Jemima Rees, who was 10 and from Colerne, near Chippenham, crashed into a tree on her last run of the day in the Austrian Alps during the half-term break in February.

Her older brother Barnaby gave her CPR for 40 minutes - meaning her organs could be donated to four people - but she tragically died the following day.The inquest is being held in Salisbury this afternoon.


Brother tried to revive sister after ski accident

The Prees family were on the last ski run of the day in Innsbruck when Jemima careered into woodland and was knocked unconscious. Her father and her brother Barnaby both witnessed the accident on February 10.

Recalling the incident, Tim Prees described how Barnaby spent 40 minutes trying to revive his sister, despite the fact she was "fairly clearly dead". His actions drew praise from emergency services who arrived at the scene.

They allowed him to carry on, because they did say they couldn't have done any better.

– Tim Preese
Load more updates