As a new project launches in Bristol aimed at giving people with disabilities the skills they need to find work, we look at background statistics.
- There are around 50,000 disabled people in Bristol. Of them 4,800 are unemployed and looking for work.
- Nationally only half of disabled people of working age are in work compared with 80 per cent of non disabled people.
- Employment rates vary greatly according to the type of impairment a person has; only 20 per cent of people with mental health problems are in employment.
- 23 per cent of disabled people have no qualifications compared with 9 per cent of non disabled people.
- Nearly one in 5 people of working age have a disability.
- The average gross hourly pay for disabled employees is £11.08 compared to £12.30 for non disabled people.
More top news
The creative industries across Bristol and Bath have received £46 million to create 'new experiences and boost productivity.'
A service in Plymouth run by the NSPCC, which helps prevents online child sexual abuse, is expanding.
Bristol Water is urging people to stay safe and not swim in the water at spots like Chew Valley or Cheddar Lake this weekend.