Your privacy is our priority
Your data is important. It’s important to us, and we understand that it’s important to you. ITV is committed to safeguarding your information in line with the latest data protection and privacy laws. We also want to be transparent about what information we collect about you, how we use it, and how you can control what we do with this information.
About this notice
This privacy notice applies when you enter an ITV competition or prize draw, or participate in an ITV vote or poll (“Interactive Services”). Our general privacy notice at itv.com/privacy also applies. In this notice, “ITV”, “we”, “us” and “our” means ITV Consumer Limited.
Our Interactive Services are sometimes made available via a mobile app. Where this is the case an app-specific privacy notice may apply in addition to or instead of this privacy notice. Please refer to the privacy notice hosted within the app for more information.
We sometimes feature third party interactive services on ITV shows or on itv.com. We don’t control the use of your personal data by these third parties, and so this notice doesn’t cover them. You should instead refer to the privacy notice of the relevant third party.
We sometimes promote our Interactive Services on third party platforms such as Facebook and Twitter. This privacy notice does not cover your use of these platforms. You should instead refer to the privacy notice of the relevant platform operator.
What information do we collect?
When you participate in our Interactive Services you may be asked to submit some basic information about yourself such as your name, email address and phone number. The Interactive Services may only be available to you if you provide us with the data requested.
When you participate in our Interactive Services via itv.com we may also collect information about your use of the website. Please refer to our general privacy notice at itv.com/privacy for details.
When you participate in our Interactive Services via a mobile app we may also collect information about your use of the app. Please refer to the privacy notice hosted within the app for more details.
How will we use your information?
When you participate in our Interactive Services we may process your data in a variety of ways, for several different reasons and with a range of legal justifications. Please see the table below.
Where we process your personal information on the basis of legitimate interest (as set out above), we are referring to the following legitimate interests:
- Analytics: We have a legitimate interest in understanding how people are using ITV’s services, including in relation to the Interactive Services. Analysis may be used to understand the popularity of the Interactive Services and other ITV services and to make improvements to them. We may use the information you provide in relation to the Interactive Services (including by combining it with information collected from other ITV services and/or that is available either publicly or from other reputable sources) to understand and analyse use across ITV’s services. All information will be stored and used in accordance with this privacy notice.
- Marketing: We have a legitimate interest in sending you messages that promote Interactive Services that are similar to the Interactive Services you have participated in by SMS text message and we may process your data for this purpose. Please see “Will we send you marketing messages?” below for information about these messages and how you can opt-out from receiving them.
Will we send you marketing messages?
We will only send you marketing in relation to the Interactive Services if you have:
- consented to us doing so by opting-in to receiving marketing messages on itv.com or by sending us an opt-in message in response to a marketing message that we have sent to you following your participation in one of our competitions or prize draws (as detailed in the bullet point below). We will send you marketing messages via the method specified when we sought your consent. Please note if you opt-in to receive messages via RCS (Rich Communications Services) then data charges may apply upon receipt of an RCS message, please check with your network operator; or
- participated in one of our competitions or prize draws, and in this case we will only send you marketing messages in relation to similar products or services to those you interacted with (for example, if you enter a competition relating to I’m a Celebrity Get Me Out Of Here!, we may send you marketing messages in relation to the competition in the following year of I’m a Celebrity Get Me Out Of Here!). You can avoid receiving these communications entirely by adding NO INFO at the end of your text entry, vote, poll or other message. You may opt out of receiving further marketing at any time by texting STOP to one of our entry shortcodes. Texting STOP will cost one standard network rate message.
Occasionally we may offer you the opportunity to sign up to receive marketing messages from third parties connected to the Interactive Services. This will require you to provide specific contact details which we will pass on to the third party for this purpose. If you sign up to third party marketing and then subsequently want to opt-out of receiving such communications from the third party, you’ll need to contact the applicable third party. Please note that we are not responsible for the communications you receive from any such third party.
Will you share my information with third parties?
There are circumstances where we disclose your personal data to third parties. This will only take place in accordance with the applicable law and for the purposes set out in this privacy notice. This may include disclosure:
- to our outsourced service providers or suppliers to facilitate the provision of our products or services to our users, for example:
- disclosure to our voting provider Tectonic Interactive Limited in order to allow you to participate in our votes;
- disclosure to our competition partners who facilitate entries into our competitions, e.g. Paypal Europe s.a.r.l.;
- disclosure to events organisers for the purposes of facilitating winners’ parties;
- to third party service providers and consultants in order to protect the security or integrity of our business, databases and systems and for business continuity reasons, including any third party service provider used to screen communications for legal and regulatory compliance purposes;
- to third parties when you have opted in to received marketing from them;
- to public authorities or regulators where we are required by law to do so; and
- to any other third party where you have provided your consent.
Service providers based outside Europe
In providing our services to you we may use third party companies to perform or enable us to provide some of the functions of our services. Some of these companies may be located, or have servers that are located, outside the European Economic Area. For details on how we protect your data where this is the case, please see our general privacy notice at itv.com/privacy.
What are your rights?
Any personal information you supply will be treated in accordance with applicable data protection laws including the General Data Protection Regulation (the “GDPR”) and any other applicable or superseding legislation. We are committed to delivering the rights that individuals are entitled to under data protection laws in the UK. These are:
- the right to request a copy of the personal information we hold about you. To do this, please contact us at email@example.com making clear that you are requesting a copy of your personal information and including full details of what you require. You may also be required to submit proof of your identity.
- the right to object to your personal information being used for direct marketing.
- the right to object to your personal information being processed where the legal basis for the processing is our own legitimate interests as a business (see ‘How will we use your information?’ section above). We will comply with such a request unless there is a lawful reason for not doing so, such as when we need to continue to process your information to defend a legal claim.
- the right to rectification. You may request that we correct any inaccurate and/or complete any incomplete personal information.
- the right to withdraw consent. Where we are processing your personal information on the basis that you have given us your consent to do so, you may withdraw your consent at any time. Please note that if you withdraw your consent, you may not be able to benefit from certain service features for which the processing of your personal information is essential.
- the right of erasure. You may request that we erase your personal information and we will comply, unless there is a lawful reason for not doing so. For example, there may be an overriding legitimate ground for retaining your personal information, such as keeping your payment information for several years to comply with HMRC rules.
- the right to data portability. In certain circumstances, you may request that we provide your personal information to you in a structured, commonly used and machine readable format and have it transferred to another provider of the same or similar services to us. Where this right is applicable, we will comply with such transfer as far as it is technically feasible. To submit a request please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org making clear that you are requesting a copy of your personal information and including full details of what you require. You may also be required to submit proof of your identity.
- the right to lodge a complaint with the supervisory authority. We suggest that you contact us about any questions or if you have a complaint in relation to how we process your personal information. However, you do have the right to contact the relevant supervisory authority directly. To contact the Information Commissioner’s Office in the United Kingdom, please visit the ICO website for instructions.
Britain’s Got Talent and X Factor: (1) ITV Rights Limited (company number 06633451) with registered office at 2 Waterhouse Square, 140 Holborn, London, EC1N 2AE and VAT registration number 197 0041 67, (2) ITV Consumer Limited (company number 2937518) with registered office at 2 Waterhouse Square, 140 Holborn, London, EC1N 2AE and VAT registration number 197 0041 67 (3) Fremantlemedia Limited (company number 276928) with registered office at 1 Stephen Street, London, W1T 1AL and VAT registration number GB 222 7151 96 and (4) any other producer of the Programme, acting as joint data controllers.
All other ITV shows: ITV Consumer Limited (company number 2937518) with registered office at 2 Waterhouse Square, 140 Holborn, London, EC1N 2AE and VAT registration number 197 0041 67.
If you are a winner of one of our competitions, we may need to pass your personal information to the prize provider to enable you to receive your prize. The prize provider may also be a data controller, and where that is the case it will be noted in the applicable competition terms and conditions.
The Information Commissioner’s Office
The Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) regulates our processing of your personal information. You have the right to lodge a complaint with the ICO. Details of how to contact the ICO can be found on their website at ico.org.uk.
This privacy notice was last updated on 27 September 2018.
If you wish to contact us about our privacy notice, please email us at email@example.com