Your privacy is our priority
Your data is important. It’s important to us, and we understand that it’s important to you. ITV is committed to safeguarding your information in line with the latest data protection and privacy laws. We also want to be transparent about what information we collect about you, how we use it, and how you can control what we do with this information.
About this notice
This privacy notice covers all versions of the ITV Hub and ITV Hub+ (collectively, the “Hub”) that are controlled by ITV. This includes the version at itv.com/hub and the apps we make available for mobile devices, games consoles, smart TVs, Freeview Play, YouView, Freesat and other devices. Our general privacy notice at itv.com/privacy also applies. In this notice, “We”, “Us” and “Our” means ITV Consumer Limited.
We sometimes allow other platforms, such as Sky and Virgin, to use the Hub brand in relation to our content. However, we don’t control the playing out of our content on those platforms, and so this notice doesn’t cover them. You should instead refer to the privacy notice of the relevant platform operator.
This privacy notice was last updated on 18 July 2018.
What information do we collect?
To watch programmes on the Hub, you need to register with us. When you register we ask you to provide some basic information about yourself, such as your email address, name and postcode - which we call “registration data”. You can edit your registration data at any time by visiting ‘Manage Account’ on our website.
In the course of using the Hub, we also collect information about your use of our services, including details of your internet protocol (IP) address, device identifier and type, operating system, browser version, cookie data, the content you viewed and details of your navigation around our services.
We may invite you to provide other data to us from time to time, for example by filling in a survey or questionnaire
How will we use your information?
When you use the Hub we may process your data in a variety of ways, for several different reasons and with a range of legal justifications. Please see the table below.
Any other data you provide to us from time to time (for example by completing a survey or questionnaire) may be used for the purposes described above.
Where we process your personal information on the basis of legitimate interest (as set out above), we are referring to the following legitimate interests:
●Personalised Advertising: The Hub is funded by the sale of advertising and is free for viewers to use. We therefore have a legitimate interest in using information about you to show you adverts that we think you’ll be interested in. For example, if you live in Leeds then you may be more likely to see an ad for an event in Yorkshire - and less likely to see an ad for an event in London.
To improve the accuracy of your profile and help us provide you with advertising which is more relevant to you, we may also combine your registration data with further data from trusted providers (such as Indicia Group Limited), which could include publicly available information about you.
We may pass an identifier relating to you and limited data (such as postcode) to our trusted third party partners (such as Videology Limited and GroupM UK Limited (who also work with Videology Limited and Finecast Limited)) to enable them to match against other data they may legally hold and use that combined information to serve ads of particular relevance to you; for frequency capping to limit repetitive advertising; and for analytics purposes.
If you download the Hub app on a mobile device with a Google Android or Apple iOS operating system then you will be given an advertising identifier by that operating system. We may use and pass this identifier to permitted third parties to serve you advertisements of particular relevance to you; for frequency capping to limit repetitive advertising; and for analytics purposes. You can reset your advertising ID at any time using the settings on your mobile device.
We may also work with third parties (such as advertisers) who already hold data about you and have an interest in showing you advertising which is relevant to your interests. This may involve us matching the data the third parties provide with the information we hold so that we show you advertisements about products or services which are more relevant to your interests. We always check that those parties have legal grounds to provide us with your data.
You can choose not to receive adverts that are tailored using information about you by adjusting the settings in the ‘Manage Account’ section of our website. You’ll still see adverts, but they may be less relevant to you.
● Geo-blocking: The Hub is only available in certain parts of the world. This is due to a range of legal and regulatory issues, and we have a legitimate interest in complying with these restrictions. To ensure we only show you content when you’re in the appropriate territories we detect the IP address of your device to work out your location.
● Analytics: We have a legitimate interest in understanding how people are using ITV’s services, including in relation to the Hub. Analysis may be both to improve the Hub and to sell adverts more effectively. We may use your personal information to understand and analyse use of ITV’s services (including by combining it with information collected from other ITV services or information available either publicly or from our trusted providers). We may also allow analysis of viewing on the Hub for the purpose of industry measurement of video viewing by the Broadcasters Audience Research Board (or any replacement body).
● Recommendations: We have a legitimate interest in making it easier for you to find the shows that you enjoy. We may therefore use your personal information in order to recommend content to you. For example, if you watch a lot of drama then we might recommend the next big new series to you.
To improve the accuracy of your profile we may also combine your personal information with further information from trusted providers (such as Indicia Group Limited), which could include publicly available information about you.
● Main channel region: We have a legitimate interest in complying with our obligations to Ofcom and STV in relation to the viewing of the ITV main channel in STV’s broadcast regions. We may therefore use your postcode, or where you allow it your GPS location data, to ensure that we only play out content for you in accordance with those obligations.
Will we send you marketing messages?
If you sign up to receive emails from the Hub we’ll only send you what you’ve asked for. We’ll never fill up your inbox and we won’t pass your information to third parties other than to the trusted suppliers and partners who we use to manage your data and help send you communications.
You can decide to stop receiving emails from us at any time. The easiest way to do this is to click on the unsubscribe link at the bottom of any of the emails. Alternatively, you can email us at email@example.com from your registered email address and ask to unsubscribe from the emails.
If you use the Hub app on your mobile device you may be asked if you would like to receive push notifications. You can turn these off at any time by adjusting the settings on your device. More information on how to do this can be found in the FAQs on our website.
Service providers based outside of Europe
In providing our services to you we may use third party companies to perform or enable us to provide some of the functions of our services. Some of these companies may be located, or have servers that are located, outside the European Economic Area. For details on how we protect your data where this is the case, please see our general privacy notice at itv.com/privacy.
What are your rights?
Any personal information you supply will be treated in accordance with applicable data protection laws including the General Data Protection Regulation (the “GDPR”) and any other applicable or superseding legislation. We are committed to delivering the rights that individuals are entitled to under data protection laws in the UK. These are:
● the right to request a copy of the personal information we hold about you. To do this, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org making clear that you are requesting a copy of your personal information and including full details of what you require. You may also be required to submit proof of your identity.
● the right to object to your personal information being used for direct marketing. Where required we will ensure we obtain your consent before undertaking marketing and you will have the ability to opt-out.
● the right to object to your personal information being processed where the legal basis for the processing is our own legitimate interests as a business (see ‘How will we use your information?’ section above). We will comply with such a request unless there is a lawful reason for not doing so, such as when we need to continue to process your information to defend a legal claim or if this information is necessary for the ongoing provision of our services.
● the right to rectification. You may request that we correct any inaccurate and/or complete any incomplete personal information.
● the right to withdraw consent. Where we are processing your personal information on the basis that you have given us your consent to do so, you may withdraw your consent at any time.
● the right of erasure. You may request that we erase your personal information and we will comply, unless there is a lawful reason for not doing so. For example, there may be an overriding legitimate ground for retaining your personal information, such as keeping your payment information for several years to comply with HMRC rules.
● the right to data portability. In certain circumstances, you may request that we provide your personal information to you in a structured, commonly used and machine readable format and have it transferred to another provider of the same or similar services to us. Where this right is applicable, we will comply with such transfer as far as it is technically feasible.
● the right to lodge a complaint with the supervisory authority. We suggest that you contact us about any questions or if you have a complaint in relation to how we process your personal information. However, you do have the right to contact the relevant supervisory authority directly. To contact the Information Commissioner’s Office in the United Kingdom, please visit the ICO website for instructions.
ITV Consumer Limited is a company registered in England and Wales (registered number 2937518) with registered office at 2 Waterhouse Square, 140 Holborn, London EC1N 2AE. Our VAT registration number is 197 0041 67.
The Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) regulates our processing of your personal information. You have the right to lodge a complaint with the ICO. Details of how to contact the ICO can be found on their website at ico.org.uk.
If you wish to contact us about our privacy notice, please email us at email@example.com