April Jackson’s perfect peach cobbler
As we near the end of the great British peach season, April’s celebrating the humble English peach as she is serving up a Friday treat, her Peach Cobbler. Served with rum chantilly cream, it’ll be the perfect pudding for your Sunday roast.
Peach cobbler with rum chantilly cream
For the the peaches:4 fresh ripe peaches, sliced2 heaped tbsp brown sugar1 heaped tbsp cranberries1 tbsp crystallised ginger, choppedPinch of salt1 tbsp lemon juice½ tsp vanilla extract
For the cobbler:100g plain flour90g caster sugar½ tsp baking powder½ tsp cinnamon100g cold unsalted butter, cubed½ egg, whisked Caster sugar, for sprinkling
For the rum chantilly cream:200ml double cream 1 tsp vanilla extract 15ml spiced rum 20g icing sugar
1. Preheat the oven 180℃ and grease a deep loaf tin, about 24 x 14 cm baking tin with some butter.
2. Place the sliced peaches, brown sugar, cranberries, crystallised ginger, salt, lemon and vanilla in a bowl and toss until mixed well, then lay the peach mixture in the greased baking tin.
3. In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, caster sugar, baking powder and cinnamon. Gradually add in the cubes of butter and then pinch the mixture until it looks like breadcrumbs (you can also do this in a food processor but works perfectly by hand too).
4. Once your flour looks crumbly, add in the whisked egg to make a wet dough.
5. Spread the dough over the peaches and add a little caster sugar sprinkled on top then bake for 40 minutes until golden and bubbling.
6. For the rum chantilly, whisk all the ingredients in a cold mixing bowl with an electric whisk. Be careful not to over whisk!
7. Spoon the cobbler into bowls and serve with a dollop of rum chantilly.