Clodagh feeds your family for under £5
Clodagh's starting the week with a family dinner that's big on flavour but low in cost.
Her summer spaghetti with roasted tomatoes, fresh basil & toasted garlic breadcrumbs is delicious, and costs just under £5 to feed a family of four!
Summer spaghetti with roasted tomatoes, fresh basil, and toasted garlic breadcrumbs
1 kg cherry tomatoes, cut in half
Extra virgin olive oil
7 large cloves of garlic, crushed
1 shallot, finely chopped
A handful of fresh basil leaves, torn
Parmesan cheese, grated for serving
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 220°C.
2. Place the tomatoes, 5 cloves of crushed garlic, and 2 tablespoons of olive oil on a roasting dish. Season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Toss well, and spread them out evenly. Roast the tomatoes for 15 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, prepare the garlic breadcrumb topping. Place a frying pan over medium-low heat, and add 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Add the chopped shallot and sauté for 1 to 2 minutes, stirring frequently, until the shallots have softened and become translucent.
4. Add the breadcrumbs and 2 cloves of crushed garlic. Reduce the heat to low and toast the breadcrumbs for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring constantly to prevent the breadcrumbs from burning - or until golden. Remove from heat and place the breadcrumbs in a small bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper, and set aside.
5. Next cook the pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water for 10 minutes or until the spaghetti is cooked. Drain the pasta and put it back into the pot and drizzle with a good dollop of olive oil, and gently toss to coat. Add the warm, roasted tomato and garlic mixture as well as the ⅔ of the torn fresh basil leaves and toss gently.
6. Garnish each pasta serving with the remaining fresh basil leaves, grated parmesan, and a generous sprinkling of toasted garlic breadcrumbs.