Clodagh McKenna's chicken Florentine
Clodagh is back in the kitchen cooking up her creamy chicken Florentine - and what's better, this dish is ready from start to finish in under 15 minutes!
4 boneless, skinless chicken breastsSea salt and freshly ground black pepper1 tbsp olive oil50g /2 oz butter300g / 10 ½ oz chestnut mushrooms, sliced1 onion, finely chopped4 cloves of garlic, crushed / minced2 tbsp plain white flour / all-purpose250ml / 9fl oz whole milk125ml / 4fl oz chicken stock / broth120g / 4 ½ oz baby spinach50g / 2 oz Parmesan cheese, grated1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
1. Place the chicken breast fillets in between two sheets of cling film. Flatten the fillets by bashing them gently with a wooden rolling pin until they are even in size and about 1cm / ½ inch thick. Season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
2. Place a frying pan over a medium heat and add one tablespoon olive oil. Add the chicken and sear for 3 minutes on each side until browned. Once browned, transfer the chicken to a plate and set aside.
3. Return the pan to the heat and add the butter. Stir in the sliced mushrooms, onion, and garlic. Season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, for five minutes. Sprinkle over the flour, stir to evenly coat the vegetables, and cook for a further minute. Pour in the milk and chicken stock and stir until no lumps from the flour remain.
4. Add the baby spinach and parmesan cheese until the spinach just begins to wilt, about 30 seconds
5. Return the chicken to the pan and simmer gently for about 5 minutes until the sauce is thickened enough that it coats the back of a spoon and the chicken is cooked through. Stir the lemon juice into the sauce and serve