Clodagh's chicken parmigiana in 20 minutes!
This is midweek comfort food at it’s best! Think Chicken and Parmesan given a crispy coating, then smothered in a rich homemade tomato sauce and melted mozzarella cheese — sounds good, right? And as if that wasn’t enough, it will be on the table in 20 minutes!
2 large, skinless chicken breasts, halved through the middle
100g Parmesan cheese, finely grated
2 eggs, beaten
100ml sunflower oil
For the marinara sauce
2 tbsps olive oil
4 garlic cloves, crushed
1 onion, finely chopped
1 tbsp tomato puree
2 x tinned cherry tomatoes (800g)
2 tbsps dried oregano
1 tbsp dried chilli flakes
2 buffalo mozzarella, torn
50g Parmesan cheese, finely grated
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Serve with buttered spaghetti
1. Preheat the oven to 180ºC. Start by prepping the chicken. Half both chicken breast through the middle and then place the four pieces between cling film sheets and bash out with a rolling pin until they are 5mm thick.
2. Prepare the breading station with three large mixing bowls: one bowl with breadcrumbs, and Parmesan mixed with a fork; another with the beaten eggs; and the third bowl with flour (seasoned with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper). Coat each piece of chicken in flour and shake off the excess. Next dip the chicken into the egg mixture and finally into the bread crumb mixture; repeat steps for remaining chicken and set aside on a plate.
3. Place a frying pan over medium-high heat, add the sunflower oil. When the oil is hot but not smoking, add the chicken. Cook until golden brown, 5 to 7 minutes, flipping halfway through. Transfer to a paper towel–lined plate to drain.
4. Next make the marinara sauce (tomato sauce). Place a saucepan over a medium heat, and add 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Then stir in the crushed garlic and onion and cook until soft, 4 minutes. Stir in the tomato puree, then add the tinned tomatoes and season with sea salt, freshly ground black pepper, dried oregano and chilli flakes, and leave to simmer for ten minutes.
5. Pour half of the marinara sauce into a shallow ovenproof dish and top with the chicken, then pour the remaining tomato sauce on top. Scatter over the torn buffalo mozzarella and remaining 50g of grated Parmesan and place in the pre-heated oven until the cheese has melted and the sauce is bubbling, 10-15 minutes.
6. Serve with buttered spaghetti.