Clodagh McKenna's Huevos Rancheros
So far she's taken us on a tour of her woodland and her walled garden, and in the final part of her Kitchen Garden strand, Clodagh McKenna introduces us to the six new residents of her Hampshire home, Broadspear: Her Burford Brown hens.
It's always been a dream of hers to own hens and, now she has them, they're everything she had hoped for; and they also lay amazing eggs which she collects to make an al fresco breakfast - Huevos Rancheros.
2 tbsps olive oil
1 onion, halved and thinly sliced
1 red pepper, thinly sliced
4 cloves of garlic, crushed
2 tsps dried chilli flakes
2 x 400g tins of cherry tomatoes
1 tbsp tomato paste
4 organic eggs
80g / ½ cup of feta cheese
1 tbsp of fresh flat leaf parsley, chopped
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
4 slices of toasted sourdough bread, to serve
1. Place a large frying pan over a medium heat and add two tablespoons of olive oil. Then stir in the onions, red pepper, garlic and dried chilli flakes. Reduce the heat to low and cook for five minutes, stirring every minute or so.
2. Next stir in the tinned cherry tomatoes and tomato paste. Season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper and stir well and cook for a further five minutes.
3. Use a spoon to make four small wells in the tomato sauce, then crack in the eggs so they poach in the sauce.
4. Sprinkle the feta cheese on top, and place a lid on top. Cook for 7-8 minutes, or longer or less depending on how you like your eggs cooked.
5. Serve with a sprinkle of the flat leaf parsley on top and slices of sourdough toast for dipping.