Clodagh's spicy sausage pasta bake
Clodagh has a winner of a recipe today - it’s a sausage pasta bake with a delicious crumb with oozing mozzarella, and the best part is it’s all made in the one dish, AND it will cost you under £5 to feed four!
Spicy sausage pasta bake
2 tbsp of olive oil
1 onion, diced
3 cloves of garlic, crushed
8 fresh Italian sausages, cut into small 1-inch pieces
1 x tin of tomatoes
1 tbsp of tomato puree
2 tsp of dried oregano, thyme, mint, rosemary or fresh basil
1 tsp chilli flakes
500g rigatoni, fusilli, penne or other bite sized pasta, cooked
80g butter, melted
80g parmesan, cheddar or any other hard cheese
100g fresh breadcrumbs
4 tbsp of fresh ricotta cheese or 2 fresh mozzarella
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 200ºC/180 Fan/gas 6.
2. Place an ovenproof casserole dish or saucepan over a low heat and add one tablespoon of olive oil, stir in the onions – cover and leave to cook for one minute, then add the garlic, and cook for a further minute. Stir in the fresh sausages – and cook until the sausages are golden in colour, about 5 minutes.
3. Pour in the tinned tomatoes, tomato puree, herbs, and chilli flakes – season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Stir well and leave it to cook for 5 minutes.
4. Stir in the cooked pasta to the sausage and tomato sauce and mix well. If using a saucepan, tip it all into a baking / roasting dish.
5. Mix the breadcrumb with the melted butter and grated parmesan cheese. Spoon the breadcrumb mixture on top of the pasta to create a thin layer.
6. If you are adding fresh ricotta or mozzarella, then make little pockets in the pasta bake and spoon the soft cheese in.
7. Bake in the pre-heated oven for 15 minutes or until the top is golden.