Clodagh's three bean and beef chilli
Clodagh’s back with an Irish twist on a classic. She'll be cooking up her one-pot wonder, three-bean chilli, which can be on the table in under 30 minutes. She'll be tucking in with all the essential sides: tortilla chips, guacamole and cheese.
Three bean beef chilli and all the trimmings
2 tbsp olive oil
300g minced beef
1 large carrot, chopped into small dice
1 large stick celery, chopped into small dice
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 clove of garlic, crushed
1 red chilli, finely chopped
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tbsp tomato puree
2 x 400g tinned cherry tomatoes
1 bay leaf
400g can of each kidney beans, aduki beans and black eye beans, rinsed and drained
Handful of chopped fresh coriander leaves (or flat leaf parsley)
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepperServe with
Grated cheddar cheese
1. Place a casserole dish over a medium heat. Pour in one tablespoon of vegetable oil, and stir in the minced beef, cook until browned. Then remove the browned minced beef to a plate.
2. Pour the other tablespoon of vegetable oil in the dish and stir in the carrot, celery, onions, garlic and fresh chilli. Cover with a lid, and then reduce the heat too low. Leave to cook for ten minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Remove the lid and stir in the spices – cumin, cinnamon, and ginger, cook for two minutes. Return the browned minced beef to the dish, and stir well then stir in the tomato paste, tinned cherry tomatoes and a bay leaf. Season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper and stir. Leave to cook for 10 minutes.
4. Next stir in the beans, bring to a simmer, cover and cook on a low heat for 15 minutes.
5. Remove from the heat, and stir in the chopped fresh coriander leaves and serve with as many of the trimming as you like!