Clodagh’s ultimate chicken and mushroom pie
It might be chilly outside but Clodagh’s creamy chicken and mushroom pie is sure to warm us all up! With a crispy top and a luscious creamy filling - it’s deliciously stress-free and the perfect pick-me-up after a busy weekend.
Chicken and mushroom pie
4 skinless chicken fillets, diced
2 shallots, diced
1 leek, thinly sliced
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
200g cabbage, thinly sliced
280g chestnut mushrooms, sliced
1 tbsp flour
100ml single cream
320g pack of shortcrust pastry
500g pack of puff pastry (use butter puff or brush ordinary puff with a little butter)
1 egg, beaten
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C/gas mark 6.
2. Set a large saucepan over a medium heat and melt half of the butter. Add the chicken, season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper and brown for 5 minutes, turning the pieces of chicken every minute. Transfer the browned chicken pieces to a plate lined with a paper towel.
3. Add the remaining butter into the pan, once melted stir in the shallots – cover and sweat for a couple of minutes. Remove the lid and stir in the sliced leeks and garlic cook for a further minute.
4. Stir in the mushrooms and cabbage and cook for 3 minutes, followed by the browned chicken. Sprinkle over the flour, stir and cook for another minute, then pour in the milk and cream, season with sea salt and lots of black pepper. Continue to cook until the sauce has thickened. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
5. Roll out the short-crust pastry and line the bottom of an 8 inch (20 cm) pie dish. Once the chicken filling has cooled, spoon the mixture into the pie dish.
6. Next roll out the puff pastry so that it will cover the pie and the rim. Lift the pastry onto the pie, trimming off any excess with a sharp knife. Press down and crimp the edges with a fork. Cut a couple of slits in the pastry to let the steam out and brush all over with the rest of the beaten egg.
7. Bake in the pre-heated oven for 20 minutes or until the pastry is crisp and golden brown.